Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by persiandog
any traffic violation or unpaid tickets ?

P.

Felony convictions, felony warrants, fugitive from justice, etc.

But, I can see NICS progressing into all sorts of "disqualifications" if allowed to do so.

We'd better thank our lucky stars it isn't Hitlery being sworn in tomorrow.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

P.

Felony convictions, felony warrants, fugitive from justice, etc.

But, I can see NICS progressing into all sorts of "disqualifications" if allowed to do so.

We'd better thank our lucky stars it isn't Hitlery being sworn in tomorrow.

Just did it again, been doing it frequently for weeks and will continue to right up to the point that Trump takes the oath. Man, that was close!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When I was in the Marine Corps I had an FFL and would get guns for guys I worked with. The ones with top secret clearances would get delayed every time, never had one denied. There's something in the system that flags them. As crossfire says, it's a flawed system. It should have never been instituted in the first place but since we're stuck with it at least make it work right.

LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

P.

In the last 20 years I got pull over once for not having my seat belt on before leaving a walmart parking lot by a city officer who was driving into the walmart parking lot. That was a warning ticket. Five years ago, I had a headlight out on my truck, got a warning for that, too. Those were the only two times I've been pulled over. And I don't have any felonies, no D.V. charges nor have been put in a loony bin ever. I have a lifetime hunting license and teach hunter education for the state, so I passed those background checks.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
When I was in the Marine Corps I had an FFL and would get guns for guys I worked with. The ones with top secret clearances would get delayed every time, never had one denied. There's something in the system that flags them. As crossfire says, it's a flawed system. It should have never been instituted in the first place but since we're stuck with it at least make it work right.

Exactly right.

I know a old nuclear scientist from Los Alamos, that got delayed everytime he bought a gun. A LGS I help out out has a retired Army guy, that said he had high level security clearances and was constantly getting delayed. Also a supising number of the local police and sheriff's deputies get delays. Most just got a concealed carry permit so they didn't need a NICS.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
some police officers file a charge without telling you ( I know that for fact ) , it is up to DA to dismiss or bring up charges,or ignore . may be one of those cases.

P.

LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well after all of that I went into the gun shop today and the owner said he was given the OK this morning to 'proceed'. So the transaction is all good, I'm just kind of stymied as to the 'why'?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I held a Top Secret clearance from about 1964 thru 2003.I was finger printed so many times. Hell, even Russia probably had mine.

Never had a hold up once.I had an FFL for about ten years in the 80's. That went straight thru

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I held a Top Secret clearance from about 1964 thru 2003.I was finger printed so many times. Hell, even Russia probably had mine.

Never had a hold up once.I had an FFL for about ten years in the 80's. That went straight thru

Yes, that is the thing I can't figure out. Some people with history like yours have trouble and some don't. Some people I know that have had "troubled times" don't get delayed. Just goes to show we don't really know what the .gov has in our file, or what criteria the NICS is using in the search.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I too have had clearances and never a problem, unless I included my SSN. I did that once or thrice and there was a delay every time.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
how about :

1- alimony , palimony ?
2- have you every dated an isis member ?
3- ever had sex with opposite sex ?
4- ever travelled to Syria ?
5- did you use your maiden name ?
6- does your name has a dash or ' in it , like O'Brien ?

P.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bobcape
There's a guy in our club that had to call the police when his neighbor committed suicide. So his name is on the police report as the originator of the call where a gun was used. He constantly got delayed after that. He got one of the ATF PINs to help but still got delayed. He was finally told, by a supervisor, that the NICS phone agents are not investigators, only check databases. If a name is associated with a police report that involves guns, in any way, the check will be delayed and passed to an investigator. He was told that could be the case for 5 years or more. Not me, but I trust the guy. Pretty much sucks.

Bob

I heard a similar story out here. I don't remember many UPIN that didn't result in exactly the same outcome.....delayed. Those were memorable because the buyer was rightfully pissed. It's a stupid ass system!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I too have had clearances and never a problem, unless I included my SSN. I did that once or thrice and there was a delay every time.

That's weird but happens to others I've seen. After several smooth transactions a guy I was friends with told me that and I doubted him, he put his social down and darned if he didn't get delayed.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by LNF150
Thanks Guys

I'm just going to pick up the gun today and roll with it. It probably got delayed because it's a weatherby vanguard in 6.5 creedmoor. Maybe they can't figure out what a creedmoor is or take issue with millimeter measurements. Who knows.

Probably wouldn't have that problem with a .270.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This is all quite fascinating.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't understand why the NICS need any info about the firearm to do the background check. The dealer has to tell if you are buying a handgun, rifle or shotgun. It makes no sense since, by law, they can't keep the data from the background checks. So why do they need to know what type of firearm is being purchased? It's supposed to only be a check to see if the purchaser is a prohibited person.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't understand why the NICS need any info about the firearm to do the background check. The dealer has to tell if you are buying a handgun, rifle or shotgun. It makes no sense since, by law, they can't keep the data from the background checks. So why do they need to know what type of firearm is being purchased? It's supposed to only be a check to see if the purchaser is a prohibited person.

Bob

Government following the law, right they are so good at that. I am fairly certain that there is at least short term storage of NICS data and likely a complete database.

A situation that has always made me wonder about NICS keeping data was with my Remington 597 in 17HMR.

The gun was recalled several years after I got it. It was bought new all legal NICS check was done. I never filed anything with remington as far as a warranty card or ever had work done on the firearm by them. I got a letter from remington stating the gun was recalled.

Ok nice to get the notice but where did my info come from??? Did they go to the distributor get a list of retailers then call them or go to them to check records. I doubt it. But perhaps a call to whoever.gov asking for info on buyers that bought the recall effected model. Same may say put down the tinfoil but a searchable gov database makes the most sense. The gun was produced for seven years. Had to be many thousands out there. Be a huge task to track them down retailer by retailer.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Wrong

Care to document that or just "what you heard"?

You are misinformed.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Bob

The NICS does not ask for any information about the gun other than, Long Gun, Handgun, or Other (Receivers or Frames). The only exception to that is when you buy two or more handguns within 5 consecutive business days, or if you live in a border state, two or more "Assault weapons " within 5 consecutive working days, from the same dealer. Then the dealer has to submit a multiple weapons form which includes firearm type and serial numbers.

In the case of a recall by the manufacturer the only way they could get any information on you is from a dealer and in 35 years of dealing closely with a couple of local gunstores, I've never seen or heard of them doing that. We have recieved recall notices, but never a request for information.

Many years ago we did get a request from the ATF to inform people that had purchased Streetsweeper shotguns, that they must apply for a tax stamp for them. But they never ask for who had purchased them.

Last edited by Allen917; 01/19/17.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,264 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.