Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was there with Pugs. The 99's, for the most part were very nice. I didn't write down prices so I'm going by memory. A fairly decent cased set fetched $1700+change. A very nice .250 G brought $675, as did an 1899F .22HP. There was a .38-55 CD to die for that went $2500+. To be honest I didn't pay much mind to the pedestrian EG's and R's. I had my sights set on something that wasn't scheduled until late in the auction, so I husbanded my cash when I shoulda/coulda/woulda taken a swing at the .250 G or the H .22HP (like I need another HP like I need another hole in the head). The 99H BB .30-30 brought $1600 as I recall. All the prices struck me as being eminently fair, mostly.

There was an 1899A TD in .25-35 that had me going for a bit. In nice original condition it would've been a fairly high dollar piece, but it was "professionally restored". Whoever did it knew what they were doing- it was very nice. But, in the end it was a re-finish job. I was attracted to it as a shooter and even though I thought maybe $700 would've been a good price, I disobeyed my instincts and bid it up to $800 at which point I reigned myself in. Another bidder took my place and ran it up to $950 where it sold. The Model 70 .22 Hornet that was yet to come tempered my "auction fever" on some of the stuff that came early (but when it finally got to the block I couldn't swing hard enough to get that one either frown -$4000 )

There was a fair amount of Savage ammo, in nice boxes, from every era of Savage ammo making. It all struck me as over-bid, but I know little about the stuff. Everything was over $100, and an early red two piece box of .22HP's brought $150. I saw one box of Savage Hornets fetch $80 which caught my eye as that is exactly what I paid for the same thing last summer at the fest. Some small bits of ephemera- a perfect 1931 catalog with price list brought $95. A naked pair of Savage paper shotshells (salmon colored, 12 gauge) went for $60. The only ammo I bought was a pristine late-30's box of Winchester SuperSpeed .22HP, and had to fork over $60 for it.

They did their usual trick of auctioning a big pile of lesser grade guns (a lot of junk) simultaneous to the main auction, so I had to jump back and forth a bit as there were a couple 29-B's that caught my eye. I bid one to $300 before I had to leave to return to the main auction. It may well have been worth more but I didn't want it that badly. There was a Tenite-stocked M242[?] that I wish now I would've stayed over there for, but I need a .410 O/U hammer gun like I need an extra nose.

Pugs snagged a new-in-box Ruger #1A 6.5x55 while I was in the can, for a very fair price. We had a laugh that I would've wanted to flip a coin for who got to snag it!

All in all it was a very crowded auction, even for them. Absolutely packed, and the crowd was in a feeding frenzy.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/12/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well if I wanted to bid on something, then no I would not come here and tell everyone, however if there were a nice 99 up for auction locally that I could not afford or did not want, sure, I would come here and tell you guys about it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Oh, yeah. There was a nasty condition Lyman 29 1/2 that I figured I could re-hab. The thing brought $195, nearly what a nice one would on fleabay. Too much for my skinflint self- there wasn't enough meat left on the bone to justify 4 or 5 hours of work and then re-sell it. I would've done 125 (it really was kind of nasty) but the bidding skated right past that number.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary:

Sounds like great fun. Wish I would have went now...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm pretty sure the guy from Shuman's gun shop was there...he buys ALOT of pre-64 Winchesters. It wouldn't surprise me if he was the one that got the Hornet. I saw him drop $20k on a 220 swift that was in the box and supposedly unfired after it left the factory. I've been in his shop a couple times and he has some incredible stuff.
Anyway, thanks for the report...I need to get back into the auction thing, haven't been to near as many as I used to attend.

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FUG1899
Who made the rule? The people who don't want you to see a live Auction end of story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it either. Those last 2 1899 B's that I passed on last May were handled by many at one of the last Savage Fests. Not a single bite. They went through 2 or 3 gunshows and STILL no takers. I've been told there are a bunch of "cheap bastards" here. Everyone wants a bargain. It doesn't work that way normally. If you REALLY want something money should not stand in the way. The forum itself has been accused of trying to drive the prices down. It just doesn't work that way. Unless you are an actual firearm's appraiser (as is at "least one among us" is) then you're just guessing. Money is useless and worthless unless you spend it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I was there with Pugs. The 99's, for the most part were very nice. I didn't write down prices so I'm going by memory. A fairly decent cased set fetched $1700+changevery cheap. A very nice .250 G brought $675, as did an 1899F .22HPboth great buys. There was a .38-55 CD to die for that went $2500+ I hope someone here got it. To be honest I didn't pay much mind to the pedestrian EG's and R's. I had my sights set on something that wasn't scheduled until late in the auction, so I husbanded my cash when I shoulda/coulda/woulda taken a swing at the .250 G or the H .22HP (like I need another HP like I need another hole in the head). The 99H BB .30-30 brought $1600 as I recall. All the prices struck me as being eminently fair, mostly.

There was an 1899A TD in .25-35 that had me going for a bit. In nice original condition it would've been a fairly high dollar piece, but it was "professionally restored". Whoever did it knew what they were doing- it was very nice. But, in the end it was a re-finish job. I was attracted to it as a shooter and even though I thought maybe $700 would've been a good price, I disobeyed my instincts and bid it up to $800 at which point I reigned myself in. Another bidder took my place and ran it up to $950 where it sold. The Model 70 .22 Hornet that was yet to come tempered my "auction fever" on some of the stuff that came early (but when it finally got to the block I couldn't swing hard enough to get that one either frown -$4000 )

There was a fair amount of Savage ammo, in nice boxes, from every era of Savage ammo making. It all struck me as over-bid, but I know little about the stuff. Everything was over $100, and an early red two piece box of .22HP's brought $150. I saw one box of Savage Hornets fetch $80 which caught my eye as that is exactly what I paid for the same thing last summer at the fest. Some small bits of ephemera- a perfect 1931 catalog with price list brought $95. A naked pair of Savage paper shotshells (salmon colored, 12 gauge) went for $60. The only ammo I bought was a pristine late-30's box of Winchester SuperSpeed .22HP, and had to fork over $60 for it.

They did their usual trick of auctioning a big pile of lesser grade guns (a lot of junk) simultaneous to the main auction, so I had to jump back and forth a bit as there were a couple 29-B's that caught my eye. I bid one to $300 before I had to leave to return to the main auction. It may well have been worth more but I didn't want it that badly. There was a Tenite-stocked M242[?] that I wish now I would've stayed over there for, but I need a .410 O/U hammer gun like I need an extra nose.

Pugs snagged a new-in-box Ruger #1A 6.5x55 while I was in the can, for a very fair price. We had a laugh that I would've wanted to flip a coin for who got to snag it!

All in all it was a very crowded auction, even for them. Absolutely packed, and the crowd was in a feeding frenzy.

I don't think the prices were out of line. Helmet on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Read down to my last sentence in that paragraph, LBK. "All the prices struck me as being eminently fair, mostly."

Bearsclayer- it wasn't Shuman who got the Hornet. It was a very pleasant gentleman from Frederick whom I talked to after the auction. I didn't see Shuman in the audience.

In the end, whatever a gun sells for, no matter the venue, it's what it is worth to the buyer. "Everyone wants a bargain." Of course we do. Who doesn't??? If a gun isn't a bargain and one wants it anyway- all well and good, if one has the money with which to fuel his lust. Not everyone has that kind of money.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If everyone had a "damn the torpedos" attitude toward throwing money at guns regardless of their worth, prices would climb inexorably across the board. Pretty soon even the Scrooge McDucks would be crying the blues.

Did I have a bit of remorse at the end of the day for not buying a couple things yesterday? Yes. But guess what, I woke up this morning feeling good that I didn't in the end. There's always another gun (or woman) right around the corner that'll be just as sexy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U don't make money on stock when U sell it. It is mostly made when U buy it! (Or perhaps steal it.) My wife feels money is only valuable when it is saved. LBK I find your exuberance in collecting quite refreshing, but Alas I live in fear, if I displayed your exuberant behavior publically there would be an auction, right after my funeral!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Read down to my last sentence in that paragraph, LBK. "All the prices struck me as being eminently fair, mostly."

Bearsclayer- it wasn't Shuman who got the Hornet. It was a very pleasant gentleman from Frederick whom I talked to after the auction. I didn't see Shuman in the audience.

In the end, whatever a gun sells for, no matter the venue, it's what it is worth to the buyer. "Everyone wants a bargain." Of course we do. Who doesn't??? If a gun isn't a bargain and one wants it anyway- all well and good, if one has the money with which to fuel his lust. Not everyone has that kind of money.

Gary,
Know it's only conjecture, but how do you feel the hammer prices at this auction would compare to prices of comparable guns at one of the well known national auction houses?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My guess would be they were comparable. Key word: guess. I've attended more than a few auctions at this venue over the years, and as with any auction, prices vary- sometimes wildly. It depends on who is in the room (or on the phone), how much money they have to spend, and how badly they want what's on the block- be it a local auction or an RIA auction. I was there when 99's went for peanuts, and I've seen average .300 EG's fetch $1000. "You pays your money and you takes your chances."

How's that beagle doing?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A decent cased set for $1700'ish and a 99G in 250 for $675, sounds like there were a couple that went for good prices - depending on condition.

Glad you got to go, always fun to sit and watch if nothing else.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calhoun
A decent cased set for $1700'ish and a 99G in 250 for $675, sounds like there were a couple that went for good prices - depending on condition.

Glad you got to go, always fun to sit and watch if nothing else.

If the chairs were more comfortable sure. grin It's kind of fun. Nice crowd and I'll go again at some point.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.