-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
I normally just sit back and listen in on the conversations here and learn from all the knowledgeable folks on this list but this time I've got a question/would like some advice from some other Colorado elk hunters.

Here's our situation- my 71 year old father (we're both non-residents) has 17 points for CO (I have 18 points now). His health probably isn't good enough (major back surgery/knee replacement) to be able do a very strenuous wilderness hunt like we have done in the past. He's still wanting to go elk hunting but at this point doesn't care too much about a trophy. We will be looking at some potential outfitters to help him out with parts of the hunt.

Here's my need for advice/opinions- I have the time to wait (at least) several more years for the really top units but he may not. I'd like to do a muzzleloader hunt where he can use his points to at least try to harvest a nice bull while just going along on the hunt and either getting a OTC cow tag and not losing my points or just getting to experience one more elk hunt with my father and getting to help out with packing/camp duties (not hunting). Do outfitters allow something like that? I want him to hunt and want to be there for the memories whether I'm hunting or not. We've always hunted ourselves and never used an outfitter but I think I'm gonna need help to make this happen.

We've done some initial research and scouting in 66/40/76 and just getting started on 61 but at this point he's wanting to just go hunting and may not want to wait for those units. Any advice on other units we should maybe look at for a situation like this/potential outfitters in those areas? Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any advice.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Most outfitters will let you go along. If one says no, I'd find another anyway. If he hunts the ML season, you won't be able to buy an OTC cow tag. In fact, I don't think you'd be able to draw a cow tag as a second choice (the only way to keep your points) in any of the units it'd be worthwhile for him to spend his 17 points on. The only true OTC tags are for bulls and they're not available in those units.

My recommendation would be unit 61, it's big, with limited #'s of tags but good road access and lots of places that aren't too hard to get around in.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your Dad wants to for sure draw in 2017 and go on a good elk hunt with no predetermined rack score being the determining factor of a successful trip, I would look at units 40, 66 as you mentioned but would also include 67 & 851. 76 is probable but if some with higher pts. apply in 2017 he may not draw as it took 17 pts. to draw muzzleloader last year.

I would start researching outfitters in those units as well as call DOW.

Good luck, I hope he gets a tag and smokes a trophy bull!

PASS IT ON!
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Unit 76 is high and rough. I do not think it would be a great choice for an older fellow that is not in great condition. I have hunted there quite a few times as a backpack hunter. There are couple of guide services out past the Rio Grande reservoir that can put a hunter onto a horse, but it is still high altitude.

Last edited by Omega51; 01/22/17.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Usually the outfitter will have a reduced rate for a nonhunter since they are feeding and providing a camp.

I wouldn't worry about that back surgery and knee replacement if they came out good. A long as his general health is good is more important.

I am going on 74, with hardware in my back from two surgeries, and hope to continue hunting for some time yet.

I don't know anything about the units suggested, but find a really good outfitter and tell him/her your needs up front.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/22/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the great advice, C Roy/Omega/Saddlesore! I appreciate it! Its great to hear from experienced guys who have "been there, done that!" I for sure will be calling the DOW, look at some alternative units, and trying to find a way to make this hunt happen with my dad!

Last edited by Flatlander54; 01/22/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your dad is a flatlander, I'd make sure a Dr. visit/ checkup is part of your pre-hunt routine, especially a cardiologist. Altitude is serious.

It'd be a great idea to factor in a workout/ health regime now. If he's serious about it, the fitness component is likely to make or break his hunt.

Also it'd be a good idea to arrive a few days early to acclimate to the altitude.

These are all things you've heard before, but pay them credence. It will be worth the effort.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Check out opportunities in eastern Colorado, east of I-25. This general area is not high altitude, it is fairly easy to get around in, and the number of elk is increasing every year.
It is all private land, so using an outfitter or getting a RFW tag is the only way to go, but in some units, tags are extremely easy to get, for both bull and cow, without burning points. In fact, much of eastern CO has over the counter, either sex, unlimited tags. Check out the CPW website for listings.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Check out opportunities in eastern Colorado, east of I-25. This general area is not high altitude, it is fairly easy to get around in, and the number of elk is increasing every year.
It is all private land, so using an outfitter or getting a RFW tag is the only way to go, but in some units, tags are extremely easy to get, for both bull and cow, without burning points. In fact, much of eastern CO has over the counter, either sex, unlimited tags. Check out the CPW website for listings.

OP cannot get RFW tag being a NR

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
You are correct.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,856
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.