Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any Idea when the custom shop stopped producing rifles?

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

When they introduced the 783. No need for customs any more! THIS IS WHAT BUBBA WANTS!!!

338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

When they introduced the 783. No need for customs any more! THIS IS WHAT BUBBA WANTS!!!

Good answer, but I was hoping for a little more exact date. grin

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
According to their website, the custom shop is still running and taking orders.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by mart

Just saw a Shot Show interview with some fellow who is head of the Custom Shop. He was showing all sorts of interesting stuff, like variants on the good old 40x, and re-introduction of the bolt action pistol, a "Scout" version of the Model 7, and some good looking custom 1911's as well.

From the Shot Show interview, it looked like Remington's Custom Shop is still in business.

Guy

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shutdown the custom shop in NY a year or two ago. Now they are in South Dakota. If I recall what I read correctly they are now working out of Dakota Arms which is owned by the freedom group just like Remington. Don't know if it is really the Remington custom shop anymore, more likely Dakota Arms is building all the Remington Models to custom specs. Makes sense Dakota has the people and probable can handle the limited extra workload. Remington customs have never been in big demand.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just looked up Dakota Arms same phone number as "Remington Custom Shop"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's cool... Likely some high quality work being done then!

Guy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GuyM

Guy

Hopefully. Or they could just try to push the Rems out as fast as they can to concentrate on the higher dollar Dakota models. The Remington Customs I have seen are nice but other than the configurations they are far from a custom gun. Would call them special order but not custom. Maybe that will change but if it does I would guess price would follow suit.

Not trying to bash Remington at all. I have two of their custom shop guns. A Model seven and a Xp100R both in 350 mag. Very nice but calling them a custom is a stretch.

338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mike7mm08

Guy

Hopefully. Or they could just try to push the Rems out as fast as they can to concentrate on the higher dollar Dakota models. The Remington Customs I have seen are nice but other than the configurations they are far from a custom gun. Would call them special order but not custom. Maybe that will change but if it does I would guess price would follow suit.

Not trying to bash Remington at all. I have two of their custom shop guns. A Model seven and a Xp100R both in 350 mag. Very nice but calling them a custom is a stretch.

Fully agree! You will still have a Remington. Any worth while riflesmith can take an off the shelf Remington and with a little work, good barrel and chamber, out shoot anything that comes out of the "custom" shop.

338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Do the rifles have a different serial number? Or some way to differentiate them from the regular over the counter rifles?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Just saw a Shot Show interview with some fellow who is head of the Custom Shop. He was showing all sorts of interesting stuff, like variants on the good old 40x, and re-introduction of the bolt action pistol, a "Scout" version of the Model 7, and some good looking custom 1911's as well.

From the Shot Show interview, it looked like Remington's Custom Shop is still in business.

Guy
Still use that sweet X-Mark trigger? laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have one in 25 06 with a heavy barrel. Damn nice.

338Rem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck

Guy

Laffin. probably better than the infamous BACO

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 338Rem
Originally Posted by Redneck

Guy

Laffin. probably better than the infamous BACO
BOTH need to be 'round-filed'....and whoever was behind those two pos triggers should be tarred, feathered, drawn/quartered and burned at the stake..

Tryin' to be nice here..

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Redneck, tell us how you really feel.. whistle

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Originally Posted by mike7mm08

Guy

Fully agree! You will still have a Remington. Any worth while riflesmith can take an off the shelf Remington and with a little work, good barrel and chamber, out shoot anything that comes out of the "custom" shop.

The KS rifles I've owned have been very a accurate. They are made just like most gun smiths make a rife. True up an action. Screw on a decent barrel. Bed in McMillian stock. Not exactly a assembly line gun. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 46 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.