Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
A .380 started WWI and killed 17 million people and wounded another 20 million.

link

Link 2

i bought a 1910 a few years ago, in a flap holster and the military bring back papers. Partially because of what you wrote, partially because of my ethnic heritage, and the fact my mother and grandparents were actually residents of the austro-hungarian empire, slavic and croatian.
on netflix, is a program sarajevo, which is quite good about the black hand, the killings, and the reasons behind it. What it presents as a conclusion i don't know if accurate. But that war made a lot of money for some people at the expense of millions.

Ron, I am of like descent and I also do not agree with that conclusion of Sarajevo, either.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like Hornady's claimed velocity of 1000 fps. CD
Hope I never have to use it, it would be great if it was just insurance for $20 box of ammo

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by jwp475

A 380 is better than nothing. I know a man that was shot point blank with a 4 or 6 inch 38 special in the chest. As he was shot he jerked the pistol out of the shooters hand and hit him over the head so hard that he cracked his skull. His chest hurt bad so he set down and waited on police and ambulance. The medic mashed on his chest and popped the bullet put. The bullet cracked his chest bone but did not penetrate into the chest cavity. Run into someone like him and let me know how well your 380 works.

Run into that SOB, and yes, I know who it is, and you'd best be toting light artillery.

.380s work. .38s work. .32s work. 9s work. .45s work. 44s work...

All of them work, some/most of the time. When they don't, well, it's your time.

Play the game; roll the dice; take your chances.

I had the .380 on me all day today. I took my chances. Turned out fine. Tomorrow, I might have the 9 or the .45, and it might not be fine. Just the way it goes.

My motto is "plan for the worst, hope for the best".
I also know a man that saved himself with a 32 S&W I believe was the cartridge, much less than a 380.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

A 380 is better than nothing. I know a man that was shot point blank with a 4 or 6 inch 38 special in the chest. As he was shot he jerked the pistol out of the shooters hand and hit him over the head so hard that he cracked his skull. His chest hurt bad so he set down and waited on police and ambulance. The medic mashed on his chest and popped the bullet put. The bullet cracked his chest bone but did not penetrate into the chest cavity. Run into someone like him and let me know how well your 380 works.
Target wadcutter perhaps?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No, a JHP I believe.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have precious little experience with getting shot, or shooting people, but was with a pard moments after he was shot at point blank range, square in the head, with a 9mm hydra shok out of a Beretta 92.

He never lost consciousness and actually called 911.

I'd happily use a 380 with a hard cast, flat point bullet at 1000fps+ If my bud had been hit with that, he'd be dead.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Actually shooting a 380 and seeing its lack of ballistic performance makes me not want to depend on its feebleness.

Do tell.
What gun were you shooting?
What were you shooting at?
What ammo were you using?
How did you analyze the results?

Crickets

I'm going to take a wild guess that you haven't shot anything with a .380 side by side with a 9mm.
You would be guessing wrong.

I have. Nope - not a scientific study. Not people. Not gel. Various other materials. Anything that is dense enough to stop a 9mm load stops the .380 sooner.
I would agree with that. No one said otherwise.

Speaking of dense....you can just get off here.
I think I'll stay along for the ride, thanks.

Since good percentage of the responders here said they would trust the .380 in certain circumstances, with the right load, I guess we are all dense.

My chosen load in the .380 is the Hornady 90 gr. Critical Defense, which penetrates 4 layers of denim and 12" of gel. Hardly "feeble" penetration.
.380 Critical Defense
And another

When carrying something bigger is not an option, I carry my Colt Pony with that load.

YMMV

Nobody is dense for using a .380 when they can't pack anything bigger. I've done it myself, but as I stated, don't need to anymore.

No, the "dense" remark was aimed at your challenge to the fact that the .380, compared side by side to other calibers - say 9mm - lacks penetration. jwp described that as "feeble", and given that handguns in general are in fact feeble, the .380 is more feeble. Arguing that point is...dense.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winchester's USA .380 flatnose FMJ cuts a 35 caliber hole and penetrates 18+ inches of gel. Not Thor's hammer, but not bad for a pocket gun either.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Winchester's USA .380 flatnose FMJ cuts a 35 caliber hole and penetrates 18+ inches of gel. Not Thor's hammer, but not bad for a pocket gun either.

Any scenario other than arms length is not where I'd want a mouse gun.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FreeMe

Nobody is dense for using a .380 when they can't pack anything bigger. I've done it myself, but as I stated, don't need to anymore.

No, the "dense" remark was aimed at your challenge to the fact that the .380, compared side by side to other calibers - say 9mm - lacks penetration. jwp described that as "feeble", and given that handguns in general are in fact feeble, the .380 is more feeble. Arguing that point is...dense.

Exactly.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't recall saying that you should want or use a mouse gun.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I don't recall saying that you should want or use a mouse gun.

You didn't I was just commenting, I should have been more clear.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 380 will work most of the time, 45 will work most of the time, 357 will work most of the time, 40 will work most of the time but nothing works every time. Any gun is better than no gun. The best I can say about the 380 is, it is small and you will have it with you most of the time and that is what counts if you need a handgun to save your life..

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Time to break out the waders ......

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bill_N

He ain't lying.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
A .380 started WWI and killed 17 million people and wounded another 20 million.

link

Link 2

i bought a 1910 a few years ago, in a flap holster and the military bring back papers. Partially because of what you wrote, partially because of my ethnic heritage, and the fact my mother and grandparents were actually residents of the austro-hungarian empire, slavic and croatian.
on netflix, is a program sarajevo, which is quite good about the black hand, the killings, and the reasons behind it. What it presents as a conclusion i don't know if accurate. But that war made a lot of money for some people at the expense of millions.

Ron, I am of like descent and I also do not agree with that conclusion of Sarajevo, either.

I said 1910, but i should have been more specific, the one i got was the colt 1910-22, made specifically for export to yugoslavia, had a little longer barrel, little bigger gun.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Bill_N

He ain't lying.

No Sir he isn't. smile

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
thanks everyone I have sold all but two of my 380's. Actually just traded one of them for a 9mm Shield with Night Sights plus some money. The pocket 380 fills a niche for me, as does the titanium 38 J frame. When I have on a bathing suit, flip flops, and a T shirt the J frame with hip grip is with me.

This thread starter should have maybe been, do you trust your life with your current skill set or are you a legend in your own mind?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
thanks everyone I have sold all but two of my 380's. Actually just traded one of them for a 9mm Shield with Night Sights plus some money. The pocket 380 fills a niche for me, as does the titanium 38 J frame. When I have on a bathing suit, flip flops, and a T shirt the J frame with hip grip is with me.

This thread starter should have maybe been, do you trust your life with your current skill set or are you a legend in your own mind?

I trust my life with my current level of training/skill, because I have to; but I am always trying to get better, because my family needs me to.

That goes for CCW, fitness, driving, cooking (okay, maybe especially for cooking), hunting, trapping, gardening, butchering, food prep and preservation, and my professional capabilities.

YMMV, of course.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 19rabbit52, 16Racing, 69 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.