-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Read between the lines folks. Mike Rowe is trying to spread the news that the trades are in need of workers and the white collar jobs are all saturated. Which is more likely to be available to most folks?

Life is way to unpredictable to say either notion is better or worse than the other. I think being passionate about what you're doing is helpful wether it's a stepping stone or a winning lottery ticket.

GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Absolutely spot on.

I fell into my career when I realized my passions were out of wack and I needed to provide for my family.

I've found that an attitude of gratitude for being able to do that AND THEN SOME has kept me in a line of work I'm not very passionate about at all. Gratitude motivates me to do what isn't all that exciting to me to the best of my ability more or less.

And that's the core of why so many want to follow their passion and are crushed when the world doesn't present itself on a silver platter. They feel entitled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I hired a fishing guide once and he was very good at what he did. I quizzed him about how it came about and he said that he "wanted to follow his passion." He then said he would never do it again because it turned his passion into a pain in the azz and nothing more than a job....he got to the point where he hated going fishing each day.

A good friend of mine owned an archery shop and said the same thing. When he started out, he could shoot nonstop 7 days a week. After 25 years he could barely stand to look at the damn bows he worked on. I asked him what he would do if he could start over again, he said he would have went into the jewelry business and dealt with the pain in the asses, where at least the profit margin was 400% and not 4% like the hunting industry.

Another one of my contacts retired from an engineering job in Wisconsin, moved to Brunswick, GA and became a fishing guide. He quit that and went back to work in a fish factory because he got tired of baby sitting a bunch of asssshole drunks.

The perfect job is one that allows some decent money, without sacrificing too much personal time to get it. Any suggestions?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you work at what you love, what you love will become a job.

Better to find work that allows you to live your dream, while taking as little time as possible from living it.

I wouldn't show up if they stopped paying me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was trained in college for radio and television broadcasting. I'm legal on the air, but the pay scale is so low, you could starve.
Add to that, the pressure is high. Everything is timed down to the second, show prep is endless, and the on air personality could put everyone in the building out of work. A multi-million dollar piece of equipment, you can no longer turn on.
It is a rush, and a drive to do it well, but you cannot support a family that way. I may get back into it when I retire.
I'm good at what I do, and I have standing offers it with other companies if I ever decide to move. The boss knows I could walk away today, and be working for his competition tomorrow.
It's not the same as working your passion, but is far less stressful.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

I fell into my career when I realized my passions were out of wack and I needed to provide for my family...
.. Gratitude motivates me to do what isn't all that exciting to me to the best of my ability more or less.

Correct me if wrong, So you get a level of satisfaction & fulfilment from the rewards of your personal sacrifices,
that might not otherwise be attained but just by having and following some idealistic passion.

Personally I found success disappointing , cause the dreamy idea of something is never quiet like the reality
when you have attained it.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by efw

I fell into my career when I realized my passions were out of wack and I needed to provide for my family...
.. Gratitude motivates me to do what isn't all that exciting to me to the best of my ability more or less.

Correct me if wrong, So you get a level of satisfaction & fulfilment from the rewards of your personal sacrifices,
that might not otherwise be attained but just by having and following some idealistic passion.

Can't you read? Or, are you going to start criticizing a man's choices to provide for him and his the same way you do as an elitist SOB about another man's faith?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4ager sober your feeble insecure mind , theres no criticism in my response to efw,
If you had adult sense , you could see I'm talking about a persons true rewards and valuable discoveries in life.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm passionate about being successful at what I do. About being very good at what I do. Passionate about serving my customers, my employees and my family.

Doesn't really matter WHAT that is, as long as I do it better than those idiot, lazy, incompetent competitors I have..... wink

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some days are better than others.

That's all I know.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4winds
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I hired a fishing guide once and he was very good at what he did. I quizzed him about how it came about and he said that he "wanted to follow his passion." He then said he would never do it again because it turned his passion into a pain in the azz and nothing more than a job....he got to the point where he hated going fishing each day.

A good friend of mine owned an archery shop and said the same thing. When he started out, he could shoot nonstop 7 days a week. After 25 years he could barely stand to look at the damn bows he worked on. I asked him what he would do if he could start over again, he said he would have went into the jewelry business and dealt with the pain in the asses, where at least the profit margin was 400% and not 4% like the hunting industry.

Another one of my contacts retired from an engineering job in Wisconsin, moved to Brunswick, GA and became a fishing guide. He quit that and went back to work in a fish factory because he got tired of baby sitting a bunch of asssshole drunks.

The perfect job is one that allows some decent money, without sacrificing too much personal time to get it. Any suggestions?
Coming out of high school my passion was to do something that would keep me close to hunting and fishing, and being a Game Warden seemed like a natural fit. At the time, Game Wardens were starting about about 25K per year in Ohio. Even to a niave 18 year old kid, the thought of working so hard, being on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and not seeing a real clear chance of that really improving much wasn't very appealing. It's great to chase a passion, but sometimes unless you plan on driving a Yugo for 30 years, and living on raman noodles, it's not a realistic career path.

Fast forward a few years and I dabbled with fishing professionally. The first thing I learned, was even with a good run, it's an incredibly tough way to make a living. The second thing I learned, is living week to week, and needing to be on the stage every Sunday, just to have enough gas to drive home is no way to live. It took me two years to figure tht out. Some of the guys I fished with 25 years ago still toil in the journeyman ranks. They fill out the tournaments on Saturday, and then on Monday try to figure out how to pay the next entry fee. It's a tough way to make a buck.

It took a few years, but I learned that working with my hands and my brain was what was going to feed me. I've been in the optical industy for close to 35 years now. My bills get paid, there's a roof over my head, and food in the fridge.

Folks don't want to get their hands dirty today, and the skilled labor trades go crying for help. A friend owns a machine shop and has basically given up on finding qualified help. He makes his own machinists from the floor up. Trade schools and tech schools just can't turn out enough qualified people to supply the trades. What a shame.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve been saying this for years.
99% of the young people who “follow their dream and do what they love” end up failures.
Sure, 1% make it, and they are the ones that write books and give interviews. Everybody wants to hear from the world champion cowboy. Nobody wants to hear from the 10,000 bums who borrow money and follow the rodeo circuit until they run out of money or break too many bones.
What does that one “world champion cowboy” say ?
“Follow your dream and do what you love”.

MOLON LABE
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by efw

that might not otherwise be attained but just by having and following some idealistic passion

You got it.

Grateful to be able to provide for my family and even tho I'm not excited about the work I do I am proud to do excellent work.

My idealistic passion at the time could not have supported my family and me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
20 years ago I figured out what my skills were, then I found an industry that valued those skills. I have no complaints.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Best advice I've heard, makes the whole get out of high school and go to college a farce. Just study something is the impression you are left with. My degrees were a result of getting close to graduation, looking at where I stood in relation and made that my major so I could finish in a timely fashion. I knew a bachelors wouldn't get me a job, so got a masters.

What I should have done instead, was look around, do some research and find out what kind of jobs are actually out there that pay a descent wage and learn how to do them.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have worked at the plumbing trade for 47 years. I hate the word plumbing!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

361 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 348srfun, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 45 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.