Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There ain't a damn thing wrong with a Remy that can't easily be fixed!

Take any stock Remy ($500),
Tune it up a little ($200),
Put a top flight barrel on it ($500),
A good stock ($500),
Have it properly bedded ($200),
A reliable trigger ($200),
Then index and Tig the bolt handle ($100)
And for only $2200 it will be all the rifle you'll ever need.

I guarantee it will be a great rifle and sub-moa with the right ammo!

In fact, it will be nearly as good as a stock Tikka!

Except that the action won't be as smooth, but another $600 will fix it right up!

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
"Good read Keith.

Did you by chance indicate the "out of true" measurements of the action you did this experiment on? Curious if this adds to the test you did.

Also to your ammo, did the brass fired in the "not trued well" chamberings create runout in the fired brass, also causing high runout ammo?

Thank you

Allen"

Allen, I did check to see how out of square the non trued actions were, and the worst was a SS 40x that was .013 out, and today that non trued action wears a 6 Dasher barrel that shoots in the 1's and low 2's. It will not however shoot groups in the zero's, but day in and day out, very low 2's is the norm. The bolt on this SS 40x does have a slight timing problem, but it still ejects cases fine.

When you start shooting groups below .300, wind is a major factor, and the vast majority of shooters will NOT use a wind flag or a target with mirage bars on it.

The most accurate load that I have ever shot the most zero's with was with my own 60g HP with a .070 meplat, .2433 shank plus a .2436 pressure ring, in a 6 BRX loaded with H335, McMillen stock, and Leupold 36X. I think that I could have one many, many benchrest matches on a National level with that rig, but I had rather eat a rat than shoot another registered match after my good friends passed away that I shot with.

Butch has probably forgot more than I will ever know about this stuff.

I post this for the many guys that want to shoot very small groups in a hunting rifle or Varmint rifle. Of course, for competition, no effort is spared to not leave any accuracy on the table.

Gunsmiths are forced to true actions today due to the public's perceptions on a perceived huge accuracy benefit from trued actions. Some gunsmiths just eat this up because they can true three actions in a morning. The pursuit of perfection is tremendous endeavor when you are chasing flaws in a mass produced item...even custom actions. Gunsmiths get blamed for anything and everything, thus they try and remove the most obvious objections. Guys that are shooting off a bean bag, off a bi pod, that don't know how to reload, and seat the bullets to book OAL force gunsmiths to go mad.

Many young men simply can not afford top of the line equipment, it is nice to put the few precious dollars of disposable income they do have to were it can make the most use...that would be in two wind flags with a cost of $100-160 max.

Using wind flags does not mean that you are going to start walking around with a limp wrist and start speaking with a a lisp.
_______

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,692
Posts18,456,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.