Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
physical violence is never the answer. we all know that, don't we?

Oh look, it's Reginald Denny !

GTC

who? i'm descended from the luddites, ok? so, who is that dude?

Here is Reginald Denny.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus

No, sometimes, ya stupid f'k, it is THE answer.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seem to recall reading about a knife fight in the Arkansas House or Senate long ago. Can't remember much of the details. Might have to google it and see. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Y'all going to like this.

Little Rock, Ark - In the first session of the Arkansas State General Assembly, the Speaker of the House of Representatives murdered another legislator with a Bowie knife on the floor of the house. The year is 1837.

The historic knife fight started with a debate in the house on a bill to offer bounties for wolf hides. This bill encouraged the killing of wolves.

Because of long standing political differences Representative Major J.J. Anthony proposed an amendment to the wolf bounty bill requiring the Arkansas Real Estate Bank President to sign each bounty check. The President of the Bank was non-other than House Speaker, John Wilson. Wilson took insult to the motion, regarding it as repetition and the continuation of disparaging insults that had been made at him. When Wilson asked if the amendment meant anything personal by his motion Representative Anthony remained silent. Then Speaker of the House Wilson demanded that Anthony take his seat. At once Anthony responded “I will not”. Wilson declared, “Then – I will make you.”

Wilson descended the steps of the speakers platform, and as he reached the bottom step – each man drew his Bowie knife. Anthony’s knife was slightly longer than Wilsons. As they drew closer, Representative Royston thrust a chair between the two in an attempt to avert the fight. “Each man seized a round of the chair with his left hand and began cutting and slashing at the other. Anthony made a downward slash, and, the keen blade descending upon Wilson’s left wrist, made a deep wound, almost severing the hand from the arm . . . then at this point Anthony threw his knife at Wilson.” Instead of striking at the point, the Bowie knife struck slantwise and fell to the floor. In the instant the knife fell to the floor, the wounded Wilson then plunged his knife to the hilt in Anthony’s body. Representative Anthony fell to the floor mortally wounded. He died minutes later.

Representative Wilson was then arrested, expelled from the House of Representatives, and acquitted in trial on the grounds of "excusable homicide". Wilson was later re-elected to the Arkansas House. He never fully recovered from his wound; his wrist was partially paralyzed for the rest of his life. He moved to Texas and died in 1865.

Source:

Historical Review of Arkansas by Fay Hempstead. 1911.

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This article is kind of long to post but you can go read it. It gives some details about 8 of the more famous fights in congress. CONGRESSIONAL FIGHTS
One famous incident was during the pre-Civil War days when fights over slavery were common. During a general melee involving a couple dozen reps, Washburne/IL got into it with Barksdale/MS. Washburne grabbed Barksdale by the hair and swung at his face but missed when Barksdale ducked, leaving Washburne holding his wig. Nobody in the house knew Barksdale was bald and many quit fighting to stare. Barksdale grabbed his wig back and put it on - backwards. That got everyone laughing. Somehow another rep got his hands on it after that and yelled "hooray, Boys. I've got his scalp" Then the whole thing broke into a riot of laughter and the fight was over.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And there is this little incident, which occurred in fairly recent past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Capitol_shooting_incident_(1954)

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by kingston
Gabrielle Giffords

ok, but i think she was out on the streets, and not in a session of congress, right?

i should have been a bit more specific. i was referring to an active session of congress, either of the house or senate individually, or in a composite group. i did not make that point clear, sorry.

Sometimes physical violence is the only answer

Particularly towards people that desire to deprive you of your right to life or liberty

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Gus
then, who got attacked?

and who attacked him/her physically?

has such an event ever happened before, or not?

Well yes...didn't Monica already do that?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,090 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.