I replaced with a Jewell and my sons with Timney

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I won't own a rifle that doesn't have a 3 position Winchester style safety - including Remington clones. That being said, you can eff up almost any trigger and make a rifle unsafe.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wonder how many of these 'took my safety off to unload' NDs happened in post '82 700's that don't lock the bolt...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've owned Remington 700's since the late 60's & probably bought at least 20 of them of the years including 3 722's & 2 721's. Never had a problem with any of them & fired thousands of rounds during that time. Also owned perhaps 12-13 XP 100's over the years, many were custom rigs for Silhouette shooting or hunting, both big & same game.
However I did have one very odd malfunction with one while shooting rock chucks one day a few years back. I had fired perhaps 12-1500 rounds through this gun over a 3-4 year period & never had a previous problem of any kind.
On this day me & a friend were set up shooting & I had my sandbags setting on the rack of my 4 wheeler & I was sitting on a stool & had already taken several rock chucks with my 223 Ackley Imp. As I went to fire another round the gun didn't fire, the firing pin was already forward, it had went forward when I closed the bolt.I noticed the bolt was in the fired position by looking at the rear of the shroud. I set there for a few seconds, perhaps 20, trying to figure out what had happened, or not happened.
My buddy was sitting to my right about 5-6 feet & he looked at me & asked what was going on & I said my gun didn't fire. I raised the gun off the sandbags & turned it to my left towards some trees & just started to lift the bolt & it fired! This was with the firing pin already down! The bolt hadn't moved 1/4" & was still in the lug recesses. My 4 wheeler was facing left to right so I could shoot off of the rear rack & the bullet caught just the edge of my plastic wind shield, damn it! I looked at the case, no problem, took the bolt out, no problem, racked the bolt 8-10 times & it cocked every time & dry fired every time, just like it had done for thousands of rounds.
I took another loaded round, chambered it, held it more to the left & closed the bolt & the bolt followed the round forward again, just like it had been fired. So now the firing pin is down on the primer, just like the first time, very odd. I hold the gun for several seconds to see if perhaps it could be a hang fire, nothing happens. I start to raise the bolt & it goes off again, bang! I'm done! Again the bolt hasn't moved 1/4" & the firing pin is sitting against the primer when it goes off, no firing spring tension to drive it forward, it's already forward.
I go home & take the bolt assembly apart & clean everything although it doesn't look all that bad & head to the shooting range. So far I've never been able to duplicate that problem.... or explain it.

Dick

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by toad
I wonder how many of these 'took my safety off to unload' NDs happened in post '82 700's that don't lock the bolt...

I wonder how many of those "took my safety off to unload" had their damned index finger inside the triggerguard when they pushed the safety forward. whistle

Remington trigger issues: 99% media hysteria & lawyer-driven lawsuits; 1% piss-poor gun handling / filthy guns / bubba-ed trigger adjustments, etc., etc..

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
http://www.thetacticalwire.com/story/396832

The Remington response to the 60 minutes story.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I best check all mine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

Remington trigger issues: 99% media hysteria & lawyer-driven lawsuits; 1% piss-poor gun handling / filthy guns / bubba-ed trigger adjustments, etc., etc..

Source or did you not read all the literature our there that even Remington acknowledges (not to mention that pesky recall..again), including personal experiences from many folks here

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Source or did you not read all the literature our there that even Remington acknowledges (not to mention that pesky recall..again), including personal experiences from many folks here

Is English your second language?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by toad

Is English your second language?

As a matter of fact it is,what's yours? and POS smells the same in any language..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
It was a serious question, so don't get all butthurt and whiney...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Then you should work on syntax, as it came across as insulting. Accordingly, if you asked in that spirit, I apologize.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No need to apologize. I have my big boy pants on and I expect others here to be likewise.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ok

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

This^^^, and, exactly.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

It's just an opinion, Jorge. I've had my own experiences with Remington triggers, read plenty on the subject, and heard the stories, here and elsewhere.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I've seen a lot of back and forth and BS'ing about this over the years, but I haven't seen any explanations of what is wrong with their triggers or how they are different from others. Is it a design flaw or just poor manufacturing? What makes a Timney so much better?

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It's just an opinion, Jorge. I've had my own experiences with Remington triggers, read plenty on the subject, and heard the stories, here and elsewhere.

Noted and respected. J

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,096
Posts18,464,125
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.