Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Cigar
You got to watch Bubba the "Golden" screwdriver... I suspect this is 99.9% of of the problems with the triggers and a willing News Media to paint guns in a bad light..
That - and a failure to keep that trigger CLEAN and untouched by stuff like WD-40..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They ain't gonna accidentally discharge when you flip the safety if you never use the safety.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
good point.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How should these triggers be cleaned and how often? Any lubrication? I have used Remington 700s for years with no problems but I'm a little nervous about it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Jewell triggers recommend Ronsonol lighter fluid to clean and lubricate their triggers.

IC B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep flush them out with lighter fluid and always use a bore guide. Keep solvents and oil away from the trigger assembly.
I've seen triggers with factory sealed adjustment screws and they were quite a bit out of tune.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
How should these triggers be cleaned and how often?
As others have stated, lighter fluid works well and then a good blast with high pressure air. It's even better if you're comfy with removal, then clean the individual pieces.. A set of slave pins really helps with reassembly.

Any lubrication?
NONE.
I have used Remington 700s for years with no problems but I'm a little nervous about it.

I clean mine every time I clean the rifle - which is EVERY time I'm done shooting it; whether it was a shot or three or if it was at the end of a long P-dog day..

If you don't have a bore guide, just clean the rifle with the action out of the stock and placed trigger-up. Then carefully swab out/blow out any residual cleaning fluid that might be left over in/around the chamber area before putting it back in the stock..

While it's in that position, make certain you note full and easy trigger movement in both directions.. If there's ANY (repeat ANY) hesitation in its full return to the set position it's time to start over.. Or - replace it..

FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I appreciate all the answers and info. I'll look for lighter fluid next chance I get and do some cleaning. I always use a bore guide when cleaning the barrel. Didn't know lighter fluid was even still around since I quit smoking many years ago!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by greydog
The Walker design was flawed only in that it utilised a superfluous part (the sear connector). This part was intended to produce a trigger with minimal over-travel and to allow the use of inexpensive material for the trigger lever. The "fire on safety release" issues stemmed, not from the sear connector, but from parts which were dimensionally flawed.
The connector is an unnecessary part and Walker realised this early on. It was not, however, the root cause of the problem.
By the way, I have had, in the shop, various makes of rifle which would fire when the safety was released. These included the, Winchester Model 70, the Ruger 77, Shultz & Larsen, Sako, Savage, and Weatherby.
Rifles which NEVER exhibited this flaw included unaltered Mauser 98's, Springfields, Enfields, and Lee Enfields. You will note that these all feature direct acting, two stage, triggers and safeties which act directly on the striker. GD
FYI, the M70's safety also 'directly acts on the striker'...

I know this. you will notice that I said "direct acting, two stage, triggers AND a safety which acts directly on the striker". The point is, the problems with the Remington trigger were incorrectly blamed on the design and the use of the sear connector. The real problem was and is quality control. The issues which have been blamed strictly on Remington also occurred with virtually every make of rifle which utilised an over-riding sear type of trigger. The whole business mostly highlights that the average lawyer is incapable of understanding trigger design and that some experts will hop on any bandwagon if the money is right. GD

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,735
Posts18,457,589
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.