-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well don't expect the Amish to start catering to wild animal populations. Game animals are about as common on Amish farms as wildlife is on the Crow reservation in Montana. I like the Amish but when they move in the wildlife gets shot off.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've shot Grouse and Deer-and years ago Pheasants-on Amish lands. It isn't all that hard to be a better hunter than most of the Amish.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you've ever traveled I-80 down near the Ohio border there's a decent swamp that straddles the freeway down there. I think it's around old exit 3. We went and talked to the Amish farmer that owned the property on the north side of 80, and he gave us permission to hunt. We got ducks, geese, rabbits, and pheasant, and saw several deer too, as well as turkeys. Kinda blows the theory that the Amish shoot everything off.......

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Just a quick question, Moose, did you move back to Pa.????

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gophergunner
If you've ever traveled I-80 down near the Ohio border there's a decent swamp that straddles the freeway down there. I think it's around old exit 3. We went and talked to the Amish farmer that owned the property on the north side of 80, and he gave us permission to hunt. We got ducks, geese, rabbits, and pheasant, and saw several deer too, as well as turkeys. Kinda blows the theory that the Amish shoot everything off.......

When the family was big we hunted Deer in a group like the Amish. I doubt on average they did or were better at it. Some of us still hunt the same ground and the Deer are still there.

Last edited by battue; 02/26/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Just a quick question, Moose, did you move back to Pa.????

Yes. My family was pitching a fit because I need to be closer to home because of my health issues and because my Grandma has leukemia and my Grandpa has Parkinsons. And I was tired of listening to my wife complain about never seeing the Grandkids so I finally just said fugg it. Dumb decision on my part but eventually you get fugging tired of everybody whining.

Last edited by moosemike; 02/27/17.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
In the dealings I have had with Amish it seems they don't treat the animals with respect. The Amish that live on the property next to where I hunt just shoot a herd of deer without picking one. I have also seen the same family shoot at deer and not follow up and check for hair and blood. The same family also crosses our property to sneak onto the neighbors posted property. They treat our property like they own it. If I could keep them off I would but my wife's uncle manages the property and he doesn't have a spine and won't tell them to stay off.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
There are condos and homes as far as the eye can see on the land where we used to hunt pheasants in Birdsboro, Berks County in the early 1970's....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The amish country in Lancaster and Lebanon county is bare from farm house to farm house. If a tree grows, they cut it down because it will shade the corn.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whit
The amish country in Lancaster and Lebanon county is bare from farm house to farm house. If a tree grows, they cut it down because it will shade the corn.

Your spot on about the Amish. But now the Amish lovers will be along shortly to bitch and whine at us.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by whit

It's not just the Amish or Mennonite farmers, the 'English' ones there do that too. It was a real change when I moved to Somerset and farmers out here actually LIKE trees.

Don't buy into the Amish 'image', they each have different values and priorities, cares and concerns, just like we do.

Dale

This space for rent

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,114
Posts18,464,448
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.