Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by MacLorry
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by rost495
put LED in there and never look back. Can't understand what folks would have against LED> I know about FL... but that didn't bother us, but i got it.

I've not seen one bad thing about LED.

I have nothing against LEDs. I like them and I'm converting my house over to to LED fixtures and bulbs.

But incandescents are useful for places you need safe heat output such as wellheads, pump houses and propane tank enclosures. Propane doesn't vaporize well much below 0* F. Kinda sucks when you can't fry up breakfast because it's -40*F and the burners barely put out a flame.

Besides not given off much heat, which is why they're so efficient, most LED bulbs have a minimum operating temperature of no colder than -22° F. Not so good for outside use in places that get colder than that.

What? LEDS should have NO problems in COLD weather. CFL's on the other hand, no.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
put LED in there and never look back. Can't understand what folks would have against LED> I know about FL... but that didn't bother us, but i got it.

I have nothing against LEDs. I like them and I'm converting my house over to to LED fixtures and bulbs.

But incandescents are useful for places you need safe heat output such as wellheads, pump houses and propane tank enclosures. Propane doesn't vaporize well much below 0* F. Kinda sucks when you can't fry up breakfast because it's -40*F and the burners barely put out a flame.

In our pumphouse here, when we MIGHT get a hard freeze, I have a 200? watt heat lamp... no plain old 100 watt white bulbs or such..

I realize LED cant' do that, but IIRC the OP did not mention needing heat, only light.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Besides not given off much heat, which is why they're so efficient, most LED bulbs have a minimum operating temperature of no colder than -22° F. Not so good for outside use in places that get colder than that.

What? LEDS should have NO problems in COLD weather. CFL's on the other hand, no.

But LEDs do have a cold weather problem. Just check the specifications before you buy if you intend to use LED bulbs outside in cold climate. -22° F is fine for most people, but if you need -40° F you may be out of luck.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The LED's are great.

Many people went out and bought a case or more of 100 and or 60 watt bulbs because of the regulation that was coming.

our country is so divided

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"Watt" do you mean by that sse? (smile)

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"Watt" do you mean by that sse? (smile)

sick

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rooster7

The spiral shaped LED lights suck ass.

I found some 100 watt LED's that are shaped like normal light bulbs that I'm going to try in the garage however. They're expensive but "supposed" to last 10 years. So we'll see.

**Edit**

I think the spiral bulbs are fluorescent not LED. My bad.

I had about thirty of them given to me and in my opinion they are rubbish...but being a miserable bastard I am using them anyway.

At work they replaced a couple of Fluoro (tubes) with LED sheets and they are absolutely brilliant, and as soon as I can corner my favourites electrician I shall have same installed in the back living area.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I am getting the 40 & 60 watt[comparable] LED's that look like standard incandescent bulbs at Lowes/HD for $2-3 ea.

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have several ceiling fans which all use, unfortunately, candelabra base bulbs. LED candelabra bulbs don't put out enough light. 60w incand bulbs are rated at nearly 800 lumens and I've never found LED's brighter than 550 even though they're rated at 60w equivalent. If you've ever seen 75w LED's with the small bases, please tell me where.

Come to think of it I can't recall ever seeing even incandescent decorative light bulbs with a small bases rated any higher than 60 watts.

As to the lumen ratings of medium base incandescent vs LED, Walmart advertises at least one of their store branded 60 watt equiv. LED bulbs at 800 lumens output. Whether it's just advertising hype or not, I don't know.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Va...UB&visitor_id=beWP4Z5fxv1VOPa5_BEXlo

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been putting led bulbs in the house as the old bulbs burnt out. I use the bright white style. Purchased two packs at Bi-Mart on sale for $1.99. The outside porch light worked all winter at temperature's to -17F. I found a shop that sell LED lights and converted the shop from four foot tubes, to four foot led. Brighter no lag coming on and use 10% of the power. Ten bucks for the fixture and ten bucks for the bulb. Eighty bucks and my garage has never been so bright.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But LEDs do have a cold weather problem. Just check the specifications before you buy if you intend to use LED bulbs outside in cold climate. -22° F is fine for most people, but if you need -40° F you may be out of luck.
Feit for one makes a -40 LED bulb. Feit

Actually it's the electronics that drive the LED that get the temp spec. Personally I'd try what's available and see if it worked unless it was a PITA if it didn't. Components and circuits are spec'd at guaranteed, not typical.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

+1

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Feit for one makes a -40 LED bulb. Feit

Actually it's the electronics that drive the LED that get the temp spec. Personally I'd try what's available and see if it worked unless it was a PITA if it didn't. Components and circuits are spec'd at guaranteed, not typical.

Actually, I'm pushing the temperature limit on the high end by experimenting with them in fully enclosed fixtures, which is something many brands tell you not to do. In the worst case I've burned out two LED bulbs with less total hours on them than you would get from one conventional incandescent bulb. The current bulb is rated for 120° F, but I expect it's engineered with some headroom, so maybe 130° F. We'll see...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a bunch of 100 watt bulbs hid out too

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, I'm pushing the temperature limit on the high end by experimenting with them in fully enclosed fixtures, which is something many brands tell you not to do. In the worst case I've burned out two LED bulbs with less total hours on them than you would get from one conventional incandescent bulb. The current bulb is rated for 120° F, but I expect it's engineered with some headroom, so maybe 130° F. We'll see...

Heat will ruin the LED elements themselves primarily through ion migration, which is normal, but heat speeds up the process exponentially. There are other factors but one thing to keep in mind is that LED elements are sorted by efficiency. To meet x lumen output requirements you have to drive the inefficient LEDs harder which produces more heat on the chip. They get sold off to make the cheapest bulbs.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.