Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I told myself I wouldn't...

[Linked Image]

....but I did...

....again... and the 12-footer is waiting in the wings, which I'll keep. (As if I need more. laugh )

This 8-footer will take a plane ride shortly.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/17/17.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nice! So what's the 'holic part. Gotta vice for building sleds? Long as its not interfering with work or family you could do worse.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love seeing the traditional gear that Alaskans still craft by hand. When I was working up there, I was told that to live there year round you needed to really like winter sports or have an engrossing hobby. That looks like a winter project that would keep one anchored firmly in the present. smile

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work.

I'm assuming that's a dogsled but having zero knowledge of the actual workings I have to ask....does the musher just stand on the end of the rails and how do you hook the dogs to the sled?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Bet that sled weighs a lot less and handles a lot better than the otter sled I bought for ice fishing. But also curious, only dog sledded once...the runners are not built for standing on. Would it be a tow along sled...or for behind a snowmobile?

I'd proudly pull that with a bucket of tip-ups out on the ice under my own power, regardless.

She's a beauty for sure.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Nice! So what's the 'holic part. Gotta vice for building sleds? Long as its not interfering with work or family you could do worse.

When I moved with my family to 'urban' Alaska (Fairbanks) a couple of years ago, I though there would be a market for sleds such as these where there is a large popluation of people (who also have decent jobs). Such has not been the case and most of the interest in sleds has been from the rural areas where shipping adds $400 or more to the cost. So this winter I told myself 'no sleds' (except for a couple kid's type at Christmas). Well, I got weak and couldn't help myself...my hands were feeling soft anyway and needed to be toughened up some, so.....

And I sold this one without being finished (with plastic or steel runners) and with no hitch parts (in case someone wanted it for a 'touristy/display' deal. Well, a trapper wanted it, so it gets some hardware and 'shoes' before it takes a plane ride. (Yeah, not a dogsled design as it's too low and lacks runner tails...although old-time dog sleds weren't always ridden as today's racing sleds are.)

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Bet that sled weighs a lot less and handles a lot better than the otter sled ....

It's 8 feet long, 28" wide, 64 pounds as she sits in the pic, but yes, a very nice handling sled, and much tougher than Otter sleds are (which shatter in the cold).

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Klik, think I've said this before, but if not, you do nice work.

I'm sorry to hear about the bad case of college-boy hands having settled upon you. Them slivers seem to bury so much deeper.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful work sir.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really nice, Klik...

What are the lashings?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Really nice, Klik...

What are the lashings?

Thanks.

I use braided nylon twine...comes from Redding Net and Twine in the PNW. I happen to prefer #36 round braid in the tarred version.

[Linked Image]

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Beautiful work sir.

+1

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you kindly for the nice comments.

As soon as I can run these things out of a 3-D printer, I'll sell 'em for $395/copy and make $20 on each of them wink

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Beauty,
do you soak and jig those boards to form the rails and bottom? Looks like they would be fun to build.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Klik, you don't use UHMW on the runners? I used to sell a lot of that up in Barrow. They also didn't use a hitch. They used a rope for towing. They would tow with a snow machine. Their sleds were a LOT heavier 2X8 runners. Taking their life in their hands when they stopped their sleds. smile smile I went back and saw you said you didn't finish it off with out runners and hitch. Is your sled mostly for dogs? I think there was only one team in Barrow, and didn't see them out up close. Nice looking sled.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful work there! I'm just a wood aholic. Have about 6 years of firewood accumulated. Have not been to meetings, but I've been chain saw free now since early November.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/18/17.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have to soak them and then steam them the kiln dried hickory they have locally. If you can get fresh "air-dry" hickory which still holds plenty of moisture, then you can simply steam it and get some nice bends. The runners which are thicker won't simply bend by soaking and steaming so I use laminations cut about 3/8" thick and glue them while bending them over a form.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Klik, you don't use UHMW on the runners? I used to sell a lot of that up in Barrow. They also didn't use a hitch. They used a rope for towing. They would tow with a snow machine. Their sleds were a LOT heavier 2X8 runners. Taking their life in their hands when they stopped their sleds. smile smile I went back and saw you said you didn't finish it off with out runners and hitch. Is your sled mostly for dogs? I think there was only one team in Barrow, and didn't see them out up close. Nice looking sled.

This one is too low to control with dogs unless a person installed a gee-pole and used it with adequately heavy loads so the team wouldn't run off with it, but I don't think anyone controls a sled that way anymore.

I posted this sled on Facebook where trappers might see it, and someone decided they were going to have it. Anyway, it's headed to Kodiak on Monday.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/18/17.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might I has what the lashing are and ones technique for their application?

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Might I has what the lashing are and ones technique for their application?

See this post, above: #11907400 grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 19 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.