Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I bought a Vortex Diamondback 20-60X60 Angled Spotter in January (Cameraland) along with a decent tripod to use at the range. I think I paid 399 for the package deal. I took it to the range and it was fine looking at bullet holes (55,143,180 grain) at 100 yards but when i increased the magnifacation up to 60 power it would not focus well enough for my eyes to make out the holes at 200 yards no matter how much I played with the focus adjustment. I called Vortex and the service rep said it must have an internal problem and to send it to them. I sent it to them the next day and they kept it for 8 business days (good service time) and returned it to me! I took it back to the range on a very clear bright day last week and I still can't get the blur out past about 150-175 yards. IMHO it's just poor glass and I guess I should have expected as much from their cheaper line of spotters.

I've got a senior friend/veteran who lives near me who only shoots out to 100 so I'll gift it to him as I know he's on a very tight fixed income. Buyer beware, no more vortex for me!

Last edited by Elkhunter49; 03/21/17.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
another lesson learned...... use it this time

E
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Yep

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I bought a Vortex Diamondback 20-60X60 Angled Spotter in January (Cameraland) along with a decent tripod to use at the range. I think I paid 399 for the package deal. I took it to the range and it was fine looking at bullet holes (55,143,180 grain) at 100 yards but when i increased the magnifacation up to 60 power it would not focus well enough for my eyes to make out the holes at 200 yards no matter how much I played with the focus adjustment. I called Vortex and the service rep said it must have an internal problem and to send it to them. I sent it to them the next day and they kept it for 8 business days (good service time) and returned it to me! I took it back to the range on a very clear bright day last week and I still can't get the blur out past about 150-175 yards. IMHO it's just poor glass and I guess I should have expected as mush from their cheaper line of spotters.

I've got a senior friend/veteran who lives near me who only shoots out to 100 so I'll gift it to him as I know he's on a very tight fixed income. Buyer beware, no more vortex for me!

That's the biggest problem with bargain priced spotters. High mags will always show any weakness and shortcoming, which is why I've always said that with spotting scopes you always get what you pay for.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you tried the Vanguard Endeavor HD? I just got one and it handily beat the Cabelas Krotos and I can't see how the Vortex Razor is any better. For $399 plus a rebate for a free tripod, I don't think you can do better for the money. Lots of good reviews on them over at Rokslide.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Have you tried the Vanguard Endeavor HD? I just got one and it handily beat the Cabelas Krotos and I can't see how the Vortex Razor is any better. For $399 plus a rebate for a free tripod, I don't think you can do better for the money. Lots of good reviews on them over at Rokslide.

That is not close to the Razor! Seriously?

Let's get together for a few minutes sometime and I will bring two Razors and we will compare them...

I have looked through the Vanguard line several times and found them about like everybody else, price was fair for what you get. A $500 high power spotter will not compete with a Razor...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried to look through one (the vanguard HD) here in town but nobody had one. I looked through the Krotos and Razor at Cabelas. The razor was definitely better than the Krotos, unfortunately I couldn't compare the Vanguard next to them. I am pretty impressed with it. Considering all I've hunted with for the past ten years is a pair of 10x42 binos I don't have a lot to compare it too I guess. Either way I can see no point in spending $700 more for one that won't be used a ton. I've read some really good reviews on it and I don't see what there isn't to like. I must have cheap eyes! http://www.rokslide.com/gear/optics...potting-scope-shocking-performance-value

ETA: I just read that you're an Ike! No wonder you need that expensive highfalutin glass to see anything!! laugh wink

Last edited by Ptarmigan; 03/23/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not the fault of Vortex that you were expecting a Diamondback to perform on the same plane as the Razor

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I learned this same lesson. Bought this model from CameralandNY and when I finally got around to try it, I immediately sent it back to them and bought a higher model. They were great to deal with BTW. Learned my lesson on spotting glass

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (007FJ, 160user, 163dm, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 3,148 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.