-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just came by this one last week. I haven't owned one since my last one was stolen thirty years ago. I suspect this is an original model since it has no transfer bar like my newer SBHs.

It shoots four inches high at ten yards. The rear sight is not adjustable and sits low on the frame, so I guess a taller front sight is the only solution. I googled and went to the usual sites but didn't find plain front blades for sale.

I just sent a request to Rugers website but I don't know if I'll get any help from them.

Have any of y'all solved this problem before?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
What ammo are you using? Try some high velocity 22 and see if that brings down the POI; also, try shooting farther out. The factory fixed sights on my older Single Sixes tend to be close to POA at 25 yards with standard velocity ammunition.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm obliged for the response. All I've tried is CCI Mini mags, but I've got some white box Winchester I can try. I was hoping to get this working for Peg to shoot rattlesnakes with and 10 feet is about the ideal range for head shooting.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had a similar problem with my 22 Mag "Only" OMSS that I fitted a 22 RF cylinder to. I used black epoxy to build up the front sight. Filed as needed and all was good. As it only receives gentle use (unholstered) around the place in Idaho the fix has been fine. I believe I have some spare SS fixed rear sights that you might be able to play with. I just need to dig...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This one will spend its' life holstered so the epoxy fix wouldn't last, I'm afraid.

But, running a bead with a heli arc welder sure might. The rear sight is as low as one could be, but I appreciate the offer.

IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend here in AZ had a similar problem. He found an old "silver" dime, cut it to the height that he wanted and soldered it to the pistol. Looks and functions great.

Just a thought.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is the original sight soldered in place. Maybe in a slot cut in the top of the barrel?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I sent Ruger an email yesterday asking about buying a taller front sight and when I checked my email just now, they had responded.

They won't sell any parts for old models which have not been converted to the new style with transfer bar.

But.... I can return it for a free conversion and they will install a proper front sight which, I assume I will pay for.

They are sending me a shipping label and RGA.

Thanks for the help but it appears Ruger will solve my problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sounds like a good solution.

The transfer bar's a good thing anyway IMO.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep, especially when this will wind up belonging to one of my Grandkids who won't likely remember why you leave an empty chamber under the hammer.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cur, I can almost guarantee you that this won't end up costing you a dime. Ruger's customer service is the best!
Please report back and let us know.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
cur, I can almost guarantee you that this won't end up costing you a dime. Ruger's customer service is the best!
Please report back and let us know.

I agree. They installed reverse indexing pall on my '93 Vaq no charge.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 52 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.