Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by benchman
I found I have what I call a Great Lakes accent. I'm from Erie, Pa., and they sound kinda Canadian/Great Lakes region.
Same here, and then I moved to Minnesota where eveyone talks like an Amish man.

We have Amish and Mennonites here who have been here for several generations, but their kids still have that accent that they brought with them. As for me, I speak Western Kentucky/redneck/Southern. A girl from Canada once told me that she found my voice sexy, and I told her that hers was too, especially when she said "eh" and "you betcha". She responded by telling me off and saying that Canadians didn't say that. Well, she did, but her voice was still sexy.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lived here my whole life, but have been told I have an accent. It must be from traveling in the south, and Appalachian/hillbilly family. Modern transportation and communication are causing us to lose our local flavor, it is a shame. It seems wherever I go, the biggest influence on accent is urban vs rural. In the cities the accent is less pronounced, the more rural, the heavier. Unless,of course, your looking for Ebonics or Spanish.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you move far enough away from where you grew up someone is going to think you talk funny. Yes I do have an accent, but it is different than other parts of Virginia. I remember the first time I was in Maryland and heard a "Baltimore" accent and I thought, "Where are they from?"

In my job I work with so many people with different accents that I usually don't pay much attention to it. The two hardest accents for me have been an older Greek man and young guy from Quebec which I deal with a couple of times a year. I have to listen to them for a few minutes before my ear tunes them in. I don't think it is so much the accent, but their enunciation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dutch
My college buddies tell me I have a terrible American accent.

Can't be, you guys are telling me people from the PNW don't have accents.... smile

...Except for Pocatello. There is a Pocatello accent. laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like listening to those Carolina girls.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not now. I've had British people describe my accent as "the softest American accent I've ever heard", pretty much neutral Californian.

Now when I was a kid I lived in the deep South and had the most deep fried Southern drawl you can imagine. I moved to California when I was in middle school. My Southern accent was gone inside a month. The funny thing is that while I don't speak with one anymore, I can still understand it as well as ever. Once I was in a restaurant with my wife and daughter and a woman with an overpowering twangy accent asked directions to a local ice cream joint. They looked at her like she was speaking Klingon. I just calmly gave her directions.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife is also neutral Cali to my ears but sometimes she talks too fast for me to understand.

Poor hearing and I have trouble distinguishing words.

She says I talk like a Swedish Indian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Dutch
My college buddies tell me I have a terrible American accent.

Can't be, you guys are telling me people from the PNW don't have accents.... smile

...Except for Pocatello. There is a Pocatello accent. laugh

You are quite right. Most of South-Estern Idaho was settled through the Mormon migration originating in and around Missouri. Linguistically, that still shows, and this region has distinct Missouri influences in it's accent.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The worst accent is that damned east coast Boston drawl. Those folks really need to learn how to talk.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Long ago when I was in the Army, people would guess me from Mississippi. That is Where my people moved from after the civil war, although my Great Grandfather was living in South Arkansas when the war started. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gophergunner
The worst accent is that damned east coast Boston drawl. Those folks really need to learn how to talk.
My wife is from Saugus, Mass, north of Boston. She never had a super strong accent, but her parents were nearly unintelligible. We went to a class reunion for her, I think 30 years, and she was amazed at the accent. Said they sounded uneducated. I just said SEE?

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Fairly nuetral. Can get a bit southern when I spend time with old buddies.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
My wife is also neutral Cali to my ears but sometimes she talks too fast for me to understand.

Poor hearing and I have trouble distinguishing words.

She says I talk like a Swedish Indian.

Been hitting the Aquavit?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

When I'm in Canada, people ask if I'm from Australia (no sheit, been asked that several times)

That's because of how you look, Scott, not how you talk....
laugh

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (06hunter59, 22kHornet, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,474
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.