Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Rem just layed off 112 employees due to 'slow sales'..

True story -- my "new" Remington rep stopped by unannounced a couple of Fridays ago. We chatted for an hour or so and he asked if I'd send him an email summarizing our conversation.

I didn't get back in the office until the following Tuesday and sent the email as promised. It was undeliverable...

Then I get an email from the "newer" Remington rep a few days later. My original new rep was eliminated in the downsizing.

ha!

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think Remington quality is just fine, and accuracy probably better than ever. Bolt handles falling off are so rare, likewise extractors failing, that they are not worthy of mention. I will however say the triggers are pure schitt and should be replaced before ever firing the rifle ( Model 700) the X-Mark Pro in particular.....so plan on spending another $100+ on a Timney or the like..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
I think Remington quality is just fine, and accuracy probably better than ever. Bolt handles falling off are so rare, likewise extractors failing, that they are not worthy of mention. I will however say the triggers are pure schitt and should be replaced before ever firing the rifle ( Model 700) the X-Mark Pro in particular.....so plan on spending another $100+ on a Timney or the like..

I know those events are rare. For some reason now leaning toward the Howa in 308 with a 24" bull barrel, blued unless some stainless ones are still floating around. May have to inquire with SAS and see if he can get one. Kicking ideas around...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigfish: I have been using Remington 700 VLS Rifles since "day one" of their introduction.
Currently I own 6 VLS Rifles in calibers, 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington and 260 Remington - they ALL are VERY accurate indeed.
The VLS Model 700's are a bit to pricey nowadays for me.
I still look for them on the used market though.
The stocks on the VLS models fit me to a "T" and are among my all time favorite stocks.
I have never had a bullet stabilization (or de-stabilization) problem with any of my VLS Rifles and the popular bullet weights per caliber.
Good luck if you try one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S. My Hunting partner also owns an amazingly accurate Model 700 VLS and his is in caliber 243 Winchester.
I guided him to a dandy Mt. Goat here a few years ago where he used that Rifle (against my mild protestations) but it worked out for him (two shot kill - heavy to pack up into the Tobacco Root Mountains).

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Bigfish: I have been using Remington 700 VLS Rifles since "day one" of their introduction.
Currently I own 6 VLS Rifles in calibers, 204 Ruger, 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington and 260 Remington - they ALL are VERY accurate indeed.
The VLS Model 700's are a bit to pricey nowadays for me.
I still look for them on the used market though.
The stocks on the VLS models fit me to a "T" and are among my all time favorite stocks.
I have never had a bullet stabilization (or de-stabilization) problem with any of my VLS Rifles and the popular bullet weights per caliber.
Good luck if you try one!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S. My Hunting partner also owns an amazingly accurate Model 700 VLS and his is in caliber 243 Winchester.
I guided him to a dandy Mt. Goat here a few years ago where he used that Rifle (against my mild protestations) but it worked out for him (two shot kill - heavy to pack up into the Tobacco Root Mountains).

Thanks, wasn't too worried about twist rates in the 700 Vatmints but not planning on shooting anything than 180gr in 308 so not to worry.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No one else did it yet and I apologize. Tikka, I prefer a safety locked bolt, or Howa. Remington may be fine now, but when a company chitts on their customers, I don't forget. Would buy used though, that does not benefit Big R.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I got two recently and found the new trigger to be OK. Timneys are only $111 if you just have to upgrade. I generally replace the tupperware with something else, such as laminated wood, but my .308 shot decently with the original sps stock. I don't care for Rem's habit of headspacing "generously" so I take new brass out to the next size and back down to make a false shoulder for the first firing.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think Remington 700's are still good rifles, they just despirately need some upgrades right out of the box. The plastic stocks and triggers are garbage.

I just got a new production 700 in 308 setup the way I wanted. I bought it as a ADL model from Academy and ditched everything but the barreled action. After a new B&C stock, Walker trigger, and BDL bottom metal, its a much better rifle. First three shots out of the gun were right at 1". Following groups have all been in that same area.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.