Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have any experience with one? For an MSRP of $6,999 they seem to be a lot of machine for the money.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 2009 Grizzly and cannot say enough good things about that machine. I have looked at the Kodiak machines and do not think you could go wrong, especially at that price point. Their engineering is sound.

FSTF
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There is a huge difference between the Grizzly and the Kodiak. The motor is the same. The clutches are a lot different. The Kodiak is set for a work machine. You can operate it at a lower RPM. The Grizzly is set up for more trail riding than working. But either machine will do more than adequate at either task.

The brakes are not as good as they are on the Grizzly.

The ground clearance is not as high as the Grizzly. The seat and ride height are not the same. The Grizz is much more comfortable to ride, at least for me. Softer seat, noticible even in the dealer showroom.

The factory tires are better on the Grizzly.

The 4wd and diff-lock is a LOT better on the Grizzly than the Kodiak.

You don't get the pod light on the handlebars on the Kodiak, you don't get the same gauge cluster on the Kodiak as the Grizzly.

The only place they start to compare apples to apples on the Grizz/Kodiak is when you get the Kodiak SE, but you're paying a price that will get you all that gear on the basic Grizzly.

That said, the 2016-17's are not without issues. The motor has had some hard starting problems. The air intake box sucks and lets a lot of dust into the motor, something Yamaha should have fixed from 16 to 17, but didn't... and the there are some that are having smoking issues at start up.

If you're looking just to upgrade, I'd look for a 2014/15 Grizzly 700 EPS. They're the cream of the crop as far as Yamaha atv's go. If you look really hard, you might, just maybe be able to find a 2015 new still. You'll have to dig though.

Last edited by tzone; 03/30/17.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The Kodiak and Kodiak SE are very capable quad's, don't get me wrong. Just be aware that there is a reason they're less money than the Grizzly's.

I'll be surprised in a few years if they still make the Kodiak in the current form.

K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info. They look similar on paper but it sounds like a big difference in the field. I am still kicking around what to do. I need two machines and will be carrying a passenger some of the time.

The Polaris 570 touring (2 person) has a good number of features and a good price, but it is a Polaris with all the attendant reliability issues. I was initially leaning toward two Kodiaks and add on seats. Heck, I may be better served with a side by side, but I have never sat in one, much less owned one.

IC B2

K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I saw the air box/motor dusting issues online. It's tough to tell if it is a non-issue if you are aware of it, or if it can still happen even if you are careful.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by K1500
Heck, I may be better served with a side by side, but I have never sat in one, much less owned one.

Check out the Yamaha Wolverine SxS. I picked up an R-spec SE last fall and I really like it so far. Sure is a lot nicer to ride with the wife on that vs. sitting behind me on a quad.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Do they make a 50" wide version? It doesn't look like it in the web.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The Polaris 570 touring (2 person) has a good number of features and a good price, but it is a Polaris with all the attendant reliability issues. I was initially leaning toward two Kodiaks and add on seats. Heck, I may be better served with a side by side, but I have never sat in one, much less owned one.
I needed a 2 seater and found a sxs to be 10x better than a 2-in-line quad. I have a 50" Polaris RZR. I needed one that will load in the back of my long bed pickup. Most of them now are 60". If anyone makes a 50" 4 seater, I don't know what it is.
With a 50", we have many trails to ourselves because the 60's can't go there. The SxS's seem to be taking over the trails around here.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
How is the RZR treating you? They are more money than a quad but they look really neat. I believe the wife will enjoy being a passenger in one much more than on a quad. I'll be running dirt roads and 50" trails during the summer, and doing a bit of typical huntng use in the fall.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I saw the air box/motor dusting issues online. It's tough to tell if it is a non-issue if you are aware of it, or if it can still happen even if you are careful.

There are a few DIY fixes out now. Anyone with a tool box and 1/2 a brain could figure it out anyway. Somehow Yamaha couldn't.

I'm a huge Yamaha fan. I'd still pick the new ones over the other new manufactures. If you're looking for a tough work machine give the Honda Rubicon a look too. Not nearly the power of the Grizzly or Kodiak though.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Why Yamaha ever went away from the Rhino is beyond me. Had one since 07. The ATV's sat after buying.
Once you use a SXS you'll most likely never look back.
My hips thank me every time I ride/use mine.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Unfortunately, they do not. I wish they did. I was looking at the 50" Wildcat trail by Arctic Cat but ultimately went with Yamaha due to their reputation of reliability.

That Wildcat is a cool looking machine though.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
After checking around, it sounds like K&N makes a replacement for the air filter that is an improvement.

Even with the few issues on the 16's, I'd still not hesitate to buy one. For reliability the only things that compare is a honda. And it might be a draw there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
After checking around, it sounds like K&N makes a replacement for the air filter that is an improvement.

Even with the few issues on the 16's, I'd still not hesitate to buy one. For reliability the only things that compare is a honda. And it might be a draw there.

The Honda Pioneer SxS has a few issues I'd stay away from. The 4 wheelers, especially the Rancher, is pretty much bullet proof.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
is that pioneer that giant SOB?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rooster7

The Honda Pioneer SxS has a few issues I'd stay away from. The 4 wheelers, especially the Rancher, is pretty much bullet proof.

What issues on the Pioneer? Enquiring minds and all that. I've had my 700 for almost 3 years now and it's been flawless.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
is that pioneer that giant SOB?

The 1000 model is yes.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by Rooster7

What issues on the Pioneer? Enquiring minds and all that. I've had my 700 for almost 3 years now and it's been flawless.

Just going by memory from doing my research last fall and I think I only researched the 1000. Not the 700. But I recall tranny, clutch, and excessive heat problems being talked about quite a bit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.