-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those were some of the worst years for me, Bayou. But for the opposite reason you give. Seeing the lowest end of the gene pool try to screw the store over day after day sickened me. Trust me, in a pawn shop the scum comes in the front door, not the employee entrance.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Those were some of the worst years for me, Bayou. But for the opposite reason you give. Seeing the lowest end of the gene pool try to screw the store over day after day sickened me. Trust me, in a pawn shop the scum comes in the front door, not the employee entrance.

Sorting that stuff out - the scum who try to screw someone - is part of the job in any customer related business. Knowingly taking advantage of an unwary store owner or an unwary customer is scummy behavior no matter which door is opened.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you're condemning the OP and all the others who got bargains at pawn shops?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So you're condemning the OP and all the others who got bargains at pawn shops?

LOL..!! Now you're trying to extrapolate to something I never said.

I'm talking about the exchange between the store and the customer walking in the door with either of them trying to get something for nothing. Either way its scummy. I'm not talking about who buys what at a bargain price after its on the shelf in the pawn shop.

Without your comment about the unknowing guy wanting $200 for something knowingly worth far more by the store owner, we wouldn't even be talking right now. In my earlier years I had to pawn items a few times to eat, but I only pawned something when I knew we were both in sync on value. What the owner did with it afterwards was not my business in terms of what he sold it for. It was no longer mine at that point.

What your boss did is the same as what the scum customers you disliked so much were trying to do to you. Neither is above board.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, it's exactly about it. The exchange is the same both ways. There's an asked-for price, and the agreed upon purchase.

You cannot argue that the store is scummy when it pays what the customer asks, and yet praise the customer who pays what the store asks. BOTH sides get exactly what they sought, at a price both were happy with.

It would be entirely different if either side OFFERS a price far below value, knowing the seller is ignorant about the true value. But that's not what happened to either LtPowell, or our customer.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
ltpowell and his snag aren't even on my radar.

As to what is ethical and above board on both sides of the fence when conducting business over the counter, we'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know it's been said many times but YOU SUCK!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We can disagree in friendship.

I see a clear distinction between when the buyer or the seller offer a price. Perhaps you don't. Maybe you think LtPowell should have said "This rifle is worth more. I won't give you less than $1000 for it." I don't think that.

I'll leave it there.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have no problem at all with the deal ltpowell got. Between us only you want to make it an issue. It's not for me.

I'm simply saying that a pawn owner like you described wouldn't get any of my business if I knew he dealt with others like you described.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never found a bargain in a pawn shop. I quit going after a while. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure how I got misunderstood, but I have no trouble with the deal LtPowell got.

What I'm saying is that it's exactly the same with the deal my boss got. The seller set the price and the buyer agreed.

You seem to draw a distinction between when a store gets a bargain and when a customer gets one. I think there is none.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
I never found a bargain in a pawn shop. I quit going after a while. miles

I try to stay out of them.

Because when I go in, there's usually something I can use at a great price.

It can get expensive! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My post was made in humor. I'm glad he got a deal on a great little lever gun.

Has this gotten a bit out of control?

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 03/30/17.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Great snag, Pat!

My best pawn shop robbery was a 1969 vintage Mountie in excellent condition with a Williams peep sight and an original Marlin leather sling plus two El Paso Weaver fixed power scopes (one 4x, one 6x) in excellent condition for $350.00 OTD.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ltppowell
...or at least I felt like it. I frequent a couple of local shops for fishing tackle. A $350 rod and reel normal sells in these shops for $50-$70, so it would be silly for me not to. I don't buy a lot of guns anymore, but you still gotta glance at the rack. Hey...that looks like a Win 9422 with that $450 tag. Good shape...9422M. What's the best you can do? That's it. I'll take it...didn't even look at the scope.
Leupold 2.5x8 Vari-X III...

smile smile smile

Hell of a deal! Congrats.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm not sure how I got misunderstood, but I have no trouble with the deal LtPowell got.

What I'm saying is that it's exactly the same with the deal my boss got. The seller set the price and the buyer agreed.

You seem to draw a distinction between when a store gets a bargain and when a customer gets one. I think there is none.

I wasn't saying you maybe had a problem with ltpowell's deal. You simply kept dragging his deal out and asking me if I had a problem with it. I stated several times that I did not, and that the topic of ltpowell's good deal had nothing to do with my comment concerning your pawn shop experience with your boss.

As I stated maybe 4 hours ago, let's just agree to disagree.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No sir. Very much a civil discussion among friends with varying views.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
His deal was only the most logical example to use. We could have used any other of the good deals mentioned, but LtP started the thread.

If we continue, I'll just use "seller" and "buyer" for my points. If we don't, may you have a great evening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on your deal. Sounds like you did alright.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,486
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.