-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a pretty severe grade over Cajon summit, so he would have been pulling hard anyway.
Still I don't believe he didn't know, likely just didn't give a damn.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I went up against a fully loaded Mac logging truck and lost. Luckily I cranked the wheel away from the drop off at the last second and he pushed me into the mountain instead of off it.

Blind corner and was nobody's fault. Just wrong place wrong time.

One of my best friends went around a blind curve and slammed into the rear of a logging truck. The crash took his head right off. Happened in Oregon in the mid '70's. He was 21 years old. Another friend was was in the passenger seat and got messed up but lived. He drank himself to death a few years later.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sensationalism... car wasn't dragged for miles, was less than 3/4's of a mile... case of a small vehicle driving in the blind-spot of a semi and not advancing but just cruising alongside the truck and probably not even paying attention!

And the trucker probably taking too long to decide to finally change lanes waiting to the last moment, then relying on just his mirrors with a quick glance before starting his lane change.

No one was hurt and no one was detained. Driver was a 60 year old white man by the sound of his name.

Not sure of the exact area, just a couple miles up from the house, but construction has been going on in the area adding a couple truck only lanes climbing the pass, not sure where that stands at right now.

Phil

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I spent the last six years of my working life in a 26 wheel truck seldom with a gross weight under 100,000 pounds. Over half that time in two land roads and mountain passes in the US and Canada. Most of that time was spent trying to keep from killing idiots in small cars. I am grateful I never had an accident or a moving violation but it was a full time job requiring 100% concentration. There are people out there driving who should not be permitted to even ride in a car. But there are just as many truck drivers who should never be allowed to sit on a tricycle. I am glad I no longer do that job.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If any of you guys live in Vancouver, Washington you may remember this one. Long about 1985-1988 someone tried to beat a semi at an on ramp. Some how the car got sideways in front of the truck and was pushed about a mile to the next off ramp. the skid marks lasted for weeks. At fifty-five miles per hour it took about a minute to drive the length of the skid marks. I figure after the initial scare the guy had time to get down to some real serious fright.

Another one was when I my dad used to drive. He was riding this time. He told me about a little sports car that came up beside the bed and matched the speed of the truck. It seemed once he was sure of the matched speed he drifted under the bed and back out. When the driver saw him drifting over again he started to slow down to prevent an accident. The sports car driver apparently didn't notice and got run over by the rear tires. My dad never drove again.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Apparently this motorcycle rider misjudged a semi's speed and rear ended the trailer. It planted his face in the door and his body was dragged for miles before a motorist got the truckers attention.

http://www.larrysfunnybone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/144A98CFA0DD463FB60AFC7C84167A934.jpg

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by hanco
I don't like passing big trucks at all

Same here. If I pass one, I do it right smartly, get around him without delay. I will not run alongside one for any reason, if I have to slow down to avoid it , that's what I'll do.

I don't even like driving beside other cars on the interstate, let alone trucks. Even if the driver is competent, there's less room to maneuver. An animal running across the road, a thrown tire tread, and and it's much harder to avoid the accident, if someone is right next to you. I do not get these clowns who think they should creeepppp past a truck taking two miles to pass him.

The great majority of truckers are professional and safe. The ones that aren't stand out like a sore thumb.

After seeing all those "gators" sitting by the road, I really don't want to be next to a big truck when one of those lets go. Was about to pass a P/U truck, when he blew out the left front tire. It came off and hit my bumper and flew over the cab - lucky. The truck then did a sharp left right in front of me (I braked when the tire blew) and went into the median, did stay upright. When I pass semis I try to go at least 10 or more miles an hour faster to pass quickly.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Prwlr
When I pass semis I try to go at least 10 or more miles an hour faster to pass quickly.

It seems once in a while some of the drivers are afraid to pass a truck so they slow down from the speed limit to a couple miles per hour faster than the truck. Some times there are a dozen cars piled up behind them.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Raeford
My wife was 'drug' by a logging truck for 2-300 yards several years ago. Driver apparently shifted from left lane to right lane while she was there. Some of the metal rigging on the pony trailer ripped into and attached itself to the car. After bouncing across several curbs along the sidewalk they finally broke free.
To this day she is horrified to ride alongside an 18 wheeler.

We all should be.

Yep

Get the hll around the trucks! I used to travel 500-1,500 miles a week in my business and noticed that women tended to get in next to trucks and stay there. Their minds were no doubt anywhere but in the car and on the road.

There's hardly a more dangerous place on the road than next to a big rig and ahead of the trailer wheels. eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is fake news. It was reported later it was actually a commercial for Progressive Insurance and Firestone tires. The Mexican in the car was yelling at the guy to stop filming and move away from his car, as the scene was totally ruined by the nosey driver with the camera.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HitnRun
This is fake news. It was reported later it was actually a commercial for Progressive Insurance and Firestone tires. The Mexican in the car was yelling at the guy to stop filming and move away from his car, as the scene was totally ruined by the nosey driver with the camera.

On an open road? Hardly likely.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (257 roberts, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 17 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.