M
Chile Colorado (red chile sauce)

12 dried New Mexico or similar red chiles

2 cups water

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil

2 tablespoons flour

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Wash the chile pods, removing stems and seeds. Place the chile pods in a saucepan with the water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the chile pods are very tender, at least 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and pour the chiles and water into a blender along with the garlic. Purée the mixture well, then strain into a bowl. Set aside.

In a frying pan heated over medium-high heat until hot, add the lard, then whisk in the flour and cook until the flour is a light brown. Stir in the puréed chiles and stir until thickened. Season with salt and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes to marry the flavors, adding additional water, if needed, to thin the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired, then remove from heat and set aside until needed. The sauce will keep, covered and refrigerated, up to 1 week.

Red chile posole

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 pounds lean pork loin, cut into bite-sized pieces

1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons ground dried oregano, divided

1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste

2 teaspoons garlic powder, or to taste

¼ cup flour

2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

3 (16 ounce) cans of white hominy, drained

1 ½ quarts water

Chopped onion, garnish

Whole oregano leaves, garnish

Lime wedges, garnish
In a wide, heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the pork pieces and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned and cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Strain the pork pieces from the pot and stir in 1 tablespoon of the ground oregano, cumin, garlic powder, flour and salt. Stir in the red chile sauce and bring to a simmer over low heat for a few minutes to marry the flavors. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a separate large pot, combine the hominy with the water and remaining 2 teaspoons oregano over high heat. Once the mixture comes to a boil, stir in the meat and chile sauce and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, to marry the flavors. Taste and adjust the seasoning and flavorings as desired, and thin with additional water if needed. This makes about 3 quarts posole. Serve garnished with chopped onion, oregano leaves and lime wedges.

GB1

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That sounds great!

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
heck yeah I have a Pozole recipe. Make you slap your mama. smile

Lately, I have been adding more dried peppers. Some Arbol and some California to the Guajillo peppers. A richer taste, and brings some real heat.
Posole

1 1/2 pounds Country Ribs, diced
Tablespoon Bacon drippings
One onion, diced
One bell pepper, diced
4 or more diced garlic cloves
One small can (or more) diced green chilies
Two or three dried Sweet Guajillo Chilies. Diced, reconstituted in a cup of boiling water, run through the blender until puréed
Salt and black pepper to taste
Two 15 ounce cans Hominy
Tablespoon Chili Powder
Oregano
Cumin
One lime
One quart beef broth

Melt the bacon drippings, sauté the onion and bell pepper. Add in the dice pork, and brown. Season.
Add one cup broth, and cook until that reduces. Squeeze in the juice from the lime.
Add in the hominy, and the rest of the broth.
Add in the Guajillo chilies and liquid from the blender
Check seasoning
Cover, and simmer for several hours. The meat should be very tender.

Serve with chopped green onion, sour cream and tortillas
How much oregano and cumin?

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I used about a tablespoon apiece. Basically a small mound in the palm of my hand. Adjust by taste.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all sharing their great recipes! This stuff is addictive. I have been making it a different way every time since I first tried it probably 15 years ago. Great ideas are coming from these posts. I love to eat mine with Fritos tossed in.... but I am sure that is sacrilege! Good stuff, than kyou again for this thread!

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Jerry Brummel (Rocky Mountain Lodge on the Conejos) used to hold a "Pot Luck" every Thursday.
His mother-in-law used to always make posole and ONLY the first few got any.

It is/was the best I have ever eaten. though I usually only got the pan drippings!

Marguerite could make a killer posole.

Last edited by LouisB; 09/20/23.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now I have a craving for some. Will make another batch soon. That question about how much seasoning has only one answer, season to taste.

Sam......

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.