Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Hop To
CUP_zz0_PSI.jpg
P
Prunty Offline OP
Pressure Conversions

Non-linear PSI to CUP conversion and vice versa.
GB1
2 Comments
P
Prunty Offline OP
OP Offline
P
CUP is dead, may it forever R. I. P.
Old stuff and memories are not to be discarded, just filed away so that future generations may see the road we traveled.

This is my first use of this site and I cannot find a means to attach a megabyte graphic file. I have a regression relating PSI to CUP based upon an ANSI/SAAMI 2015 data set. This data set is an extension of the ANSI 2002 data set that denton regressed in previous years. My regression is also not based directly upon scientific measurements, but upon maximum ratings that are generously guard-banded above a set of scientific measurements. For this reason, do not have large expectations of it's precision in PSI to CUP conversions. In general, conversions from my regressions are not greatly different than the linear conversions from denton's previous work.

My regression is not linear, despite its looks. I put the PSI data on the X axis because those measurements are more precise, however, with the guard-banding and round off, the PSI data is probably not significantly better than the CUP data. The regression is curved and very nearly parabolic, however, my chosen log function may be written in closed form as Y = f(X), and X = f(Y) which cannot be done with a parabolic (2nd order polynomial) function. It is non-linear because the X-scale is logarithmic with an offset, thereby including the third degree of freedom. A straight-line regression was required in order to establish the confidence intervals shown. In the confidence interval expression, due to the subtraction (difference of similar large numbers), higher than normal precision is required in this calculation. I have included all of the useful statistical information and equations on the graphic file.

Last edited by Prunty; 04/11/19.
GB1

P
Prunty Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Upon close inspection, I have found that I missed the SQRT operator in the equation for the confidence interval form. Other than that, the curves and equations are correct. I will repost this graphic with the correction. I have also developed the regression for the transposed data. This produces nearly the same result, but the equations are very different. Please stay tuned in.

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (19rabbit52, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,087
Posts18,463,935
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.