Squirrel season reopens here May 28th and runs until February 15th. That's the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. With any luck it'll be cool, cloudy and still with little breeze or wind just after a nice overnight rain shower that ends at daylight that morning. I'd like to hit the woods with either the Marlin M39A and peep sight or my little Belgian Browning Light Twenty A5. The limit here is ten and I'd take ten if possible because squirrel hunting days will be fewer and fewer as the heat and humidity of summer take over. Then it's a long wait until it cools enough in September and October for me to beat the heat and hit the woods again. Plus at that time in the fall of the year squirrel hunting competes directly with bowhunting deer and fall turkey season. Smallmouth bass start tearing it up in the rivers in October and all the summer warm temp floaters are long gone. With the fall colors it's a beautiful float on a scenic clear water Ozark stream and a fat hard fighting bronze fish sweetens the day. God I love the fall of the year!!!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.