I've found myself unexpectedly in the market for a new .375 H&H. The requirements are as follows:
- controlled round feed on a Mauser/M70/workalike action
- forward mounted iron sights to serve as backup sights
- 100% reliability with factory softs and solids
- reasonable accuracy, as gun may be used for up to 400y shots on lighter game
- sling studs must be on stock (as opposed to a barrel band) to avoid compromising barrel free float when using a Rhodesian sling
- cost is a factor
- blued/wood cosmetics

Based on these requirements, it appears I have three options in new production rifles: the Winchester M70 Alaskan, Montana Rifle Company AVR, and CZ 550 American. All three are available on Gunbroker. None are available locally. They all cost within about $100 of each other - the same for this purpose. I doubt I'll have a chance to try any of them before buying. I've owned several recent M70s, so I think I have a good idea what I'd get if I bought the Winchester. My concerns are that it might be a little on the light side (and thus recoil-happy) and that the rear sight is somewhat limited. The MRC and CZ are mysteries to me but I've had one bad experience with a CZ 550 in another caliber a friend owned that would not feed reliably. I'm looking for people who have had experiences with these rifles in terms of reliability, accuracy, general workmanship and customer service who can recommend which is preferable and why.

Alternately, if there's something else new or used that would fit my requirements better (perhaps a Browning Hi-Power commercial Mauser?) chime in with that.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 05/17/17.