Well, there's not much info on this cartridge, given.

Reading old Handloader and Rifle articles by Al Miller and Dave Scovil tipped the scale for me.

I have this cartridge power covered by others 338 WM, 375 H&H AI, 350 RM, 45-90, 45-70 and others. But I wanted an optimum cast bullet shooter in a light bolt action.

The 9.3x62 is all right I guess, but to get one of those I just would probably buy a CZ. People have already worked up loads and people have already done this and that with it. Arrogant I suppose, but that seemed boring. Would that cartridge be as good as "My Build"? I didn't think so.

I believe it was Al Miller that said 375 caliber was minimum caliber for effective cast bullet shooting of game animals. (I read carefully all that Al ever wrote and I could get my hands on.)

So if not 375, then what? I wanted to use a Mouser as I like the open receiver. Using an 06 case, a 375 Scovill or a 375 Whelen AI seemed to be the best choices. I cut the chamber so that a 35 Whelen case was a good fit. No special fire forming techniques required.

I briefly looked at a 400 Whelen, but bullet availability and shoulder issues stopped that thought.

I considered a 458 WM, a 458 American and others as I am fond of the 45 caliber but I eventually rejected arch for various reasons.

I considered a fat cartridge like shortened ultra magnums and the Ruger cartridges but rejected those too. Mostly they were common and had issues.

So the 'best' boiled down to the 375 Whelen AI. If I get my wife talked into letting me spend the dollars, I'll go to Kodak and hunt with one of my favorite writers or his son Taj to shoot grizzly.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally