.177 600 fps is plenty good out to 30 yards for rabbits. The important part is accuracy. From my limited experience, I would advise to stay away from break barrels. They're OK for shooting off-hand but are sensitive to changes in holding technique and position. I am getting better with them and feel that it's a lot like shooting a bow. Even with a moderator, the spring action is relatively loud. I don't consider my Gamo Silent Cat to be very silent. Pumpers are cheap fun but follow-up shots require cooperation from your target.

For ease of operation and accuracy under $400 I would recommend:

1. $180 Beeman Chief PCP and $50 HPA pump from ebay. We spent some time shooting my son's yesterday and I was impressed with fit, finish and accuracy. .177 10.34g JSB 950 fps. Add a $70 TKO brake and it is VERY quiet. So quiet that we thought there was something wrong with gun until shooting over the chronograph. The trigger is easily adjusted and, with a spring replacement, can safely go down to 1.5 lb.

2. $210 Benjamin Discovery PCP. Almost same as above but not as nice. Trigger is not great. Shot count per fill is less than the Beeman.

3. Beeman QB78 CO2. Good looking/shooting gun just like the Chief. I get 70 full-power shots from two powerlets in my .22 at around 530 fps.One negative is having to degas by dry firing 25-30 times when replacing the CO2. Temperature changes can affect performance.