Originally Posted by colorado bob
I'm back to my Model 700 in 30/06. Gun I bought back in 71 from money I earned delivering newspapers 7 days a week. I've bought several 99's, 7mags, 300 win mag over the years----I've sold them all. I've got a 375 Ruger that i used in AK on a grizzly hunt----I've still got that one hoping to use it on a Aussie or Cape buffalo hunt. In hind sight I should have used the 30/06 with 200 grain partitions on the bear hunt. I had a 100 yards shot from a good rest----a chip shot for the Model 700. I've got a Tikka 30/06 as a backup rifle.

Dad was right way back when. Told me all I "really" need was a 30/06, 12 gauge and 22 rifle. The only shotgun I hunt with is my 870 that I bought back in 1970, again for money earned on the paper route. I use it for everything from ducks, pheasants, grouse and turkeys. Nothing a 2 3/4" 12 gauge can't do. I do have a Browning BT-99 for trap shooting. The 22lr is perfect for prairie dogs & marmots.

Only thing I can say is that broke about even on buying & selling guns. But Dad was right, forget guns & spend the money on more hunts & adventures.

Bob

FYI---And he was right about reloading. You can buy 30/06, 12 gauge & 22's on sale cheaper than reloading. I've been killing critters with Core-lokts & power-points dead for years. But i still got all that reloading stuff because Dad couldn't be right.

Seems like I recall a very similar thread several months back. Here it is: 30-06, am I crazy? Dad was right!

1st post of that thread, minus the pictures:

Originally Posted by GuyM
More than 50 years ago, when I was a kid, Dad told me I only needed a .22 rimfire and a .30-06 for hunting. Last year I selected my 30-06 Rem 700 CDL for all my hunting. Umm... It worked... So, do I really need any of the others? Why not sell 'em all except the 30-06, and fund another hunt or two? smile

Well? I dunno. I do LIKE the heck out of several other rifles, but dang... Only tag I didn't fill was cougar, because I didn't see one. Pretty sure the 30-06 could have handled that as well.

I'm thinking that some of us, me included, have several more rifles than needed... Not wanted, needed.

Regards, Guy