Originally Posted by deputy30
bwinters
I was wondering what Sitka gear you have decided on for your layering system? I have been looking at Sitka lately and think I would like to try some of their products.

A more specific question I have for anybody is what is the difference between the kelvin active jacket and the kelvin lite hoody? I think the lite hoody is warmer but i dont know how durable it is. I am considering one of those jackets under my Kuiu guide jacket. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sorry missed this - have been busy.

I have about every worthy piece of Sitka Gear now............

For most of my 'active' hunting, I settled on:

Sitka Core mid or heavyweight bottom, First Lite Aerowool top next to skin
Sitka Core heavyweight hoody or Patagonia R1 as top mid layer
Sitka JetStream jacket, Timberline pants
For insulation, Sitka Kelvin Lite hoody

I normally hike in the dark in my Heavyweight Core hoody with both Jetstream and Kelvin Lite in/on my pack (Mystery Ranch Pintler/Metcalf). I hunted this year in Wyoming and it was 0 degrees opening AM. I wore the sitka medium weight and heavyweight bottoms under my Timberline pants. I wore either the lightweight or midweight under the heavyweight alot this past fall when it was colder. I was surprised how warm I was still hunting in WY with just my Jetstream on. I sat for 2-3 hours in late AM and put the Kelvin Lite on. I may have even taken a nap in the sun...........

In November, I bought one of the close-out Sitka Kelvin down hoody. Best piece of gear ever when its cold. I wore it all week in December PA deer hunting with temps in the 20-30. I wore it to the gun range this AM (19 degrees when I left the house). It is really, really warm. They run huge - I normally wear a large in Sitka jackets, I ended up with a medium Kelvin down hoody - and can still wear my Jetstream under it.

On durability, I looked at that with the puffy jackets. Puffy's are very susceptible to holes/rips/punctures - at least in the crap I end up hunting in. I simply either don't wear them as an outer layer or do so when I'm stationary. You wouldn't want to be actively moving around with the Kelvin Lite puffy, its way too warm. I dare you to do so in the Kelvin down hoody...... wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.