Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
if food plots are something other than supplemental feeding, what would it be?

In all the properties I have hunted in Alabama thats all they are there for. Does have a strong attraction to food plots and you can sit there for hours watching family groups of Does, small bucks, very enjoyable. During the rut some bucks might make the mistake of pursuing does and get shot but that is far and infrequent in my experience.

If the Does are around then the big boys will not be far away either.

Yes but they usually don't make an appearance until very last light and they are fidgety if anything. We see them more in the AM then at any other time .

And as mentioned previous, they tire of eating the same same. They may hit the acorns hard, but eventually they may decide some alfalfa would be a nice change.

I have been there years where a single doe is all we saw on a foodplot at night. They are only hunted evenings. If anything Does are bait. There is so much for them to eat there it is not even funny.

How do you boys hunt? Stands? Move around? All day, or

Get up 1 1/2 hours before daylight , walk 1/2 to a mile to a stand and stay there until you are tired of sitting there. Bucks usually cruise late morning until midday .
Get into the evening stand usually no later then 2-2:30 , sit half hour past sunset.

We are picked up in electrical UTVS(most of the time) . We hunt on roughly 5000 acres surrounded by thousands of acres of privately held land . They have roughly 300 head of cattle and for safety reasons no still hunting allowed. Deer have a lot of options on where to be and what to eat . No Archery, Muzzleloader and Turkey hunting is allowed period. They even have a few days break between hunting . Tracking dog is used if needed , they do not want anyone traipsing on adjoining properties or possibly bitten by a snake of which there are many

Man, I want to hunt where you hunt. Sounds like an awesome setup.

The owners are not getting any younger and they have cut back quite a bit for this coming year and for the foreseeable future.