I personally went through this very same process not long ago. Unfortunately, I was not able to compare these rifles in person so everything I found was via the internet. I think the best advice I received when trying to make my choices was when it comes to reproductions no matter which you chose you’re going to have to make some compromises because no matter the manufacturer none of them are 100% like the originals. However, given today’s metallurgy they are better guns. There are plusses and minuses no matter which version you chose. From everything I have read it’s extremely difficult to make a bad choice with any of these. In no case did I find owners that were dissatisfied with either choice. However when it comes to one vs another there maybe one which is a better fit for you or the purpose you chose it for.

In my case I chose in all cases when it came to the Henry, the 1866, the 1873, and the 1892 to go with Henry Repeating Arms and Miroku Winchesters over Uberti. I can share my take on why I did so but I would strongly advise you to do your own research to determine which version works best for you because in a vast number of cases and for various reasons many will chose Uberti instead. You may very well find something I didn’t and very possibly get a different take than I did. YMMV

Going into this I was looking for rifles to plink with and I have no desire to compete in CAS.; I also wanted some rifles with better looking wood. Guns that were well made and backed by warranty and good if not great customer service.

Part of my frustration when conducting research was there weren’t many who actually had actual experience with both and actual comparisons were few but there are a few out there. Given the cost of these guns and the fact that few will have more than just one this was not extremely surprising. I searched a good number of gun sights via google as well as more than a few CAS sites as well. Eventually I actually posted a thread on a 1911 forum with regards to whether an 1866 or a 1873 might be a better choice. I really received a good number of responses from Uberti and Winchester owners which had experience with both Uberti and Winchester experience. So although they may have made different choices they did agree on the various pluses and minuses from these manufacturers.

There is however one video where the New Original Henry is compared to an actual Henry and a Henry from Uberti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faEW--5QDpg

This video actually points out a good number of things with regards to the New Original Henry. The big ones that stuck out to me was the fact that Henry Repeating Arms used MIM parts, a flimsy ladder rear sight, and their barrel is over polished. But it also does point out how well made the rifle is. Eventually I got over the MIM parts. My biggest complaint is that the barrel is over polished. Great looking gun but the barrel is over polished and there is no denying that.

[Linked Image]

By the time I had purchased my Henry I had already compared the Winchester Miroku reproductions to those from Uberti and I had already determined for the most part that a Uberti was not for me.

[Linked Image]

From everything I could tell Uberti is probably the most popular choice when it comes to those who desire the closest looking replica and they do that better than anybody else. None of their guns carry the Winchester name but the overall look is closer to authentic supposedly and you’ll hear that often. Uberti also appears to be the number one choice for those competing in CAS. The availability of short stroke kits and repair parts makes it a great if not more logical choice for those competing in CAS simply because they have been making these longer so parts are more available and that system is very well established. The toggle link system although weaker supposedly is the slickest action out there. Over the course of time if your using your gun in competition and shooting it often then the availability of parts will be extremely important. Potentially Winchester parts may and have become more available but I would imagine Uberti parts are still easier to get just because how many and how long they have been doing this.

From what I could find the red varnish that makes the Uberti look more authentic covers a greyish European Walnut which tends to be softer than American Walnut and dings easier. Also repairs are more difficult because of the varnish they use. The internals on a Uberti are rougher and unpolished when compared to a Miroku Winchester. In fact from what I read the Miroku is the slickest out of the box. Uberti also is said to use softer headed screws which are very often torqued into place by a gorilla. Not always but often extremely difficult to take out to the point some require a gunsmith to remove and it is suggested that you may want to replace these screws. Often I have read that if you don’t mind doing a bit of work on the internals then this is the gun for you.

Miroku itself from everything I could find knows how to make guns. Miroku makes some very nice guns was repeated everywhere I conducted my research. From all of the Mirokus I own now to include the Browning SA-22 I would have to agree that they make an extremely nice gun. Their Winchesters do have the made in Japan moniker which makes a good number unhappy, But Miroku is also are the only ones which have Winchester on their guns. Their wood tends to be more proud but supposedly as the wood ages that is a good thing. I have read also that they are tending to make them less proud. I don’t have a vast number to compare them too but none of mine are proud enough that it bothers me and in most places is a good fit. I choose the Shot Show 2018 versions so the wood on mine is a Grade V\VI Walnut which is very nice. There is a decent size gap between barrel and magazine which bothers some but here again the plusses out weigh the negatives for me. The annoying safety and rebounding hammer doesn’t exist on the 1866 and 1873 so this was a non-issue on these two. So, although this does exist on the 1892 Miroku Winchester I am awaiting I still chose the Miroku over the Uberti because overall the plusses for me outweigh the negatives.

The New Original Henry is very unlike the Henry Golden Boy or 22 Rifle that Henry Repeating Arms was initially known for. Although there are Mim parts there is no receiver cover or pot metal on this gun. The brass receiver is a specially-formulated hardened brass receiver with the same tensile strength as steel. The wood is a Fancy American Walnut. Here again the gun overall is very well put together and is very comparable to the craftsmanship of a Mirokus that I own with the added benefit of being supported by an American Company with from everything I can tell great customer service.

Last edited by dddrees; 05/21/19.