Dakotakid,
I too have owned a Ruger Alaskan. The hogue stock was a clumsy abomination. The new guide gun, that stock is also a disgusting abomination.

I've also had problems with the quality of Hornady brass and bullets.

I ended keeping my CZ 9.3x62 Mauser and sold the 375 Ruger. It was lighter, equally effective, and was equipped with a good Bell and Carlson stock.

I do like the Ruger 77 and the CZ 550's the most. With the dovetail receivers and nice open sights, they are serious rifles made better with Alaska arms LLC quick detachable rings.

For your requirements, lighter is better. Don't forget, the 9.3x62 was the original Mauser dangerous game rifle. The 375 h&h though more popular, was a heavier, clumsier British rip-off put together for wealthy people.

MANY alaskans and yukoners have made the switch from the 375 magnum to the ole 9.3. Up goes the round count, down goes the weight.

The CZ 550 standard is no longer offered. Ruger has offered a limited run of a 7.3 lb Ruger African in 9.3x62. It's a desirable stock that is easier to sell, should you be allergic to good walnut, to fund a good sythetic stock. If I were you, that'd be my top choice, as a new guide building your career.

I've had no problem with 400 yd and 500 yd shots with the ole 9.3 using 300 grain A-frame/lapua brass handloads. Other more experienced hunters on here like yukoner Ted and Vernak haven't had problems with the long shot either.

I have easily modified the overly chunky Ruger magazine follower to make the rifle a 5-down gun:

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUHM77RSB9.3X62