Originally Posted by FOsteology
I know it's rather subjective, and can vary widely depending on what industry/type of work one does. However, curious as to what everyone is using for an edc folder. I haven't really carried a pocket knife for years, but recently have found myself needing a knife for various tasks. Currently I have a Benchmade 535 Bugout. It's a nice enough knife, but the handle leaves much to be desired as there's no reinforcement, so the handle tends to flex a bit.

Thinking about trying something else.

Trying to narrow it down to one knife that fits all possible criteria better than any other knife, such as ergonomics, blade shape, thickness, steel type/edge type, price, weight, sharpening skill, sharpening habits, etc.

Must haves:

1. Has to be sharp, and hold an edge well.
2. Must lock securely
3. Must be dependable
4. Relatively inexpensive (under 150)

So, what are you gents using? Pictures, blade material, and model names appreciated.

I'm really not trying to be an ass here. It just struck me a little odd to not have carried a pocket knife for years and have a pile of requirements. You might want to just try out a few things and then decide. Just a few thoughts about them.

1. Definitely needs to be sharp. A dull knife will get you into trouble. Hold an edge well? That can mean alot of things. Some knives hold an edge really well, but they take a good deal of work to get sharp. I kind of like a balance between easy to sharpen and hold an edge. I tend to stay away from some of the modern super steels. I like 1095, D2, 440C and Case's variations.

2. I don't care for locking blades (though I'm not totally against them). I like a slip joint because I'm a little old fashioned and that's what paw paw had. The problem with lockers is that they can and do fail and if you aren't handling a knife properly, you'll get hurt. IMO, if you need a knife that can't fold when you don't need it to, a fixed blade is what you want. There are some pretty small/handy fixed blades out there. I almost always have a LT Wright Patriot in my pocket and that might be a good option if you need something heavy duty.

3. Plenty of options here. There are even some dependable, cheap, Chinese made options (Rough Rider comes to mind). Victorinox, Case, GEC, Buck, Leatherman, Kershaw, Benchmade all generally make a good one.

4. See 3.

Another thought, Something in the 3 inch range (closed) like a Case Peanut, Victorinox Cadet.... maybe even in the 3.5 inch range Victorinox Cadet, Case Medium Stockman will fit nicely in that little watch pocket in a pair of jeans. Makes it easy to access and keeps the knife from getting lost with keys and whatnot.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.