Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 8mmwapiti
Originally Posted by saddlesore
There has never been an offical cartrdige by the name of 45 Long Colt.It is 45 Colt.I watched entire episode of Cowboys on RFDTV an the guy, a cowboy action shooter, was doing a program on 45 Colts. In all instances he kept referring to 45 Long Colt and how accurate he was in all his historical information.Then he went on to brag on his 45 "Long Colt" rifle and how that cartridge was used thru out the west in earlier times. When in fact the chambering of 45 Colts in rifles is only a fairly new thing with the advent of Cowboy Action matches. It was unheard of back in the days of 73 ,32 Winchesters and such.

44-40 was the most prevalent cartridge for those who chose to have the same round for thier hamdgun and rifle. 38 WCF,32-20 and other smaller cartridges were also popular. The 45 colt was only very popular in the handgun.

So if all you Cowboy shooters want to be historically correct,please start referring to it as the 45 Colt.

Just one of my pet peaves like those who ask what caliber did you shoot the elk with.Heck that would could stretch from a 30 carbine to 300mag and above with dozens of "cartridges in between.

Rant over!!!!!

My pet peeve (OK one of) Is the people who talk of the non existing 41 special. For those here that do not know there was not a 41 special, short or S&W or Colt or whatever before the 41 magnum. It was designed and brought out as the 41 magnum not a lengthened version of a 41 whatever.

Yes I am nit picking but some nits need picked

8mmwapiti

The .41 Long Colt cartridge was created in 1877 for Colt's double-action "Thunderer" revolver.

If we just stick to the 41 special EG a shorter cased version of the 41 mag and usable in such, of course it exists. It was developed after the 41 mag for custom revolvers and lighter 41 loads. While it was originally a home brew case, Starline does make a properly head stamped version of same. As for loaded ammo, I've not seen it, nor have I looked very hard.