Originally Posted by Gristle
We rode this past Monday in the Big South Fork recreation area. My buddy brought his 3 mules and I rode Jubal for 12 miles. He's the mule I have ridden all the time and he's about the easiest going one of the 3. His only problem is that, in his mind, EVERYTHING is out to eat him. We had 4 river otters jump into a creek we were riding beside and Jubal lost his mind for about 5, fun filled rodeo, seconds. I was actually able to stay in the saddle this time as he has dumped me twice due to my inexperience. I am slowly getting the hang of ol' long ears.

Cannot wait to get out to Colorado in October with Jeanne.

Jeanne has a couple of new mules. She has one, that was mine on her string, that she has had for a few years. Ask to see Jewel. I am riding one and packing one I got from her. I am leaving Wednesday to ML hunt and will stop and see her for a visit for awhile.I camp about a mile up the road from her base camp

When mules go to bucking they can learn to do it a lot faster than the man riding them can learn to stay seated.I can only remember being bucked off 4 times in 45 years or so. Each time was complete surprise.I don't ride those types of mules anymore

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles