I was listening to a local talk-radio show the other day, and a guy called in and said something I found very discouraging.

"I'm just sick to death of the French," he sputtered. "They want we should give Saddam more time? How about this: how about we give him just as much time as he gave those folks in the World Trade Center?"

So now apparently the feds have succeeded in creating in (at least a segment of) the general populace the impression that Saddam Hussein was behind the events of 9/11/01. Perhaps that's why the war has so much popular support. I had thought that Americans were a little smarter than that. I guess I still hope that some of us are.

We are becoming the new Evil Empire. It was disheartening to observe how much of the stuff Baby Bush said about Saddam Hussein last night is actually true of Baby Bush as well.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867