I have occasion to make up some more 300 Weatherby loads. I have a "tried and true" recipe developed but was running low. This time, though, I annealed the brass using an AMP annealer. Using the same lot of IMR 7828SSC, I saw a 200+ fps drop in velocity (Labradar, shot old and new at the same session). I certainly wasn't expecting that and the accuracy wasn't good at all, which isn't surprising given the velocity difference.

I applied a light crimp with a Lee FCD and the velocity came up, but just a little. The bullet is a 168 TTSX and the length is such I'm not where I can crimp into a groove.

I'm not sure I can get enough powder into the case to get my velocity back. I could run more neck tension (I was using .002" measured) but could easily bump it up) or apply a heavier crimp - would that make enough difference?

What's the writer.wisdom on the effect of more tension and crimping on velocity?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin