Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

When do "you" decide "we" have enough roads and make "us" stop accessing our land?

Alaska is about 5.5x the size of Colorado, yet you have 6x the road mileage. Why can you get to your lands and we cannot? Why not "let" us build an equal number of miles per square mile as Colorado before giving us garbage about your sensitivities?

The less the roads the better the hunting, it's that simple. When the roads and human pressure--hunting or otherwise-- reduces or drives the critters out then they will blame the federal government for "mismanaging" the lands, and the state for "mismanaging" the wildlife. If there aren't enough roads for you in Alaska, we can do a property and residency swap as soon as you would like--then you can spend the rest of your life driving the Colorado back roads and trails, and probably wear out an ATV every couple years.

Spent three years of my life on the Uncompahgre and then the Montrose District BLM travel management plans dealing with the motorized vehicle crowd. I swear, if they couldn't drive to every friggin' tree on public land they would scream "You're denying us access!" If you let 'em, they would be driving up the steps on their ATV's and into the meeting room......

Remember that thing called "Seward's Folly"? Who paid for that in 1867? The hordes of Alaskans that were living there? Who bought and fought for most of the current federally owned public lands in the western U.S.?

Americans did--with their money and their blood. And it was almost EXCLUSIVELY the Americans "Back East", because there were almost no European-Americans living on those lands at the time.

I'm the first one to say states should have a fair amount of influence in what takes place on federal lands located within their borders. I'm the first to bioitch about the Yuppie Snowflake invasion that is happening throughout the intermountain west. But all federally owned public lands belong to all Americans. Period.

So road density in your state is roughly 33 times AK's road density and you think it would be wrong for us to poke some long roads out there? Stuff that would not come close to putting us within an order of magnitude of CO's road density. Get real...

As to monies paid for AK you may want to look a bit shorter term. Back a century or so ago the federal government had a thriving industry in AK with fur seals, making far more just on seal skins than we paid for the State. There are a number of gold mines which individually made more money than the cost... and yes, the Feds get a small piece of mining.

How about WWII? Thinking AK had a lot to do with our success...

Then there are those little oilfields all over the place which the Feds have made billions of dollars on. From Katalla with its Wire-wrapped wooden pipe all the way through many parts of Alaska and finally to Prudhoe Bay and ANWR... oh wait, we have not been able to access the oil because of people outside AK that believe we should not be able to build roads or develop our own lands and resources. AK actually sends more money to Federal coffers than we take in and by a considerable margin.

If I promise to NGAF what you do to CO, how about you promising to leave AK alone?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.