I recently bought a Remington 40x in 222. I've wanted one since I was a very young man. I found one at what wasn't a steal but wasn't a bad price. It included a 36x Leupold. I tried several 50-52 grain bullets over 19.5 grains of IMR 4198, a long time accuracy load for me in other 222's. The best group I could get was just over 3/4 inch and most loads shot well over an inch, some over two.

I didn't think it was humanly possible to put enough rounds through a 222 to ruin the barrel but it seems that is what has happened to this one. I just got a Lyman bore scope yesterday and it looks bad. Some noticeable throat erosion and significant pitting in much of the barrel.

I have a 36x Weaver and am going to shoot some more groups with the Leupold and then change out the scope and try again before I decide on a rebarrel, but I suspect that's the route I'll have to take. I have contacted the seller and he indicates the consignee may work with me some by refunding a portion of the purchase price toward a new barrel. Since I've shot the rifle they aren't going to take it back and I wouldn't expect them to. I was really disappointed to finally get a 40x and then have it shoot horribly.

So if you were going to rebarrel a 40x in 222, for the sole purpose of enjoying shooting little groups, who would you use and what barrel maker? Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by mart; 11/23/19.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.