Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by 7point62mag
I'm just learning that you can give up a little weight with a Monolithic bullet, because they shed ZERO weight.

That is the point the old-timers miss. They think that when you switch to a copper mono bullet, it should be the same weight as their traditional lead bullet. Such thinking then means the copper bullet is shot slow, which gives up a lot of its performance potential, both in trajectory and terminal performance.

Indeed, the mono bullet doesn't shed weight. If you want a 150gn bullet to pass through your animal, a copper bullet need only start at 150gn. However a lead bullet needs to start at 200gn, because it is going to immediately start shedding weight upon impact. By going down in weight, you pick up speed, which gives better trajectory and better killing power.

Bottom line: you can easily go down to a 150gn bullet in your 300WM. Fast, flat, and deadly!

JMHO

Shinbone, those are excellent and undeniable points until you start shooting beyond 500 yards.....then a somewhat heavier bullet with a better BC starts to come into it’s own!

Not a point of contention, but......at what point does one become an “old timer”? wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024