Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

David,

With all due respect, that's not how physics works. The direction of acceleration is a function of the net force on an object, not just a single, specific force. I specifically said that the bullet begins falling once it is no longer supported by the barrel because at that point gravity is the only force acting on the bullet. The reason that you are not falling right now is that gravity is not the only force acting on your body. The normal force from the chair or the floor is exactly equal and opposite the force of gravity. But I can see why the word "falling" causes confusion. As you said, the bullet does begin falling (ie, it has a downward velocity vector) from the axis of the bore the moment it leaves the barrel, but not necessarily relative to the axis of the LOS. Perhaps a more precise statement would be that the bullet begins accelerating downward towards the earth the moment the force of gravity is the only force acting on it along the vertical axis (aka when it leaves the muzzle). This is true relative to both the LOS and the axis of the bore.

Jordan,

With all due respect, that is precisely how physics works. I am not confused by the word falling - to descend freely by the force of gravity.

If a body is not descending it is not falling (it is still subject to the force of gravity).

Your statement that the bullet is falling because it is no longer supported by the barrel and gravity is the only force working on it is incorrect - it's not falling if it's not descending.

I agree, a more precise statement would be that the bullet begins accelerating downward towards the earth the moment the force of gravity is the only force acting on it. The bullet is still rising in that instant, not falling.

When I have discussed ballistics with fellow hunters I haven't experienced any that believe there is some mystery force making the bullet rise - I have experienced quite a few that are annoyed with people attempting to condescendingly tell them bullets don't rise (I'm not referencing you) when they clearly do.

David