Just a note on hunter numbers. I believe there are more people are applying for multiple species and multiple states than ever before. I am exhibit No. 1. I used to do 1 trip per 3 years. Now it is 2 per year. Still one hunter, but now I have 6 applications over a 3 year period instead of 1.

The population of the US is climbing. As has been shown, hunter numbers are declining. So when you talk about percentage of the US population that hunts, the decline is magnified.

Another consideration is that the baby boomers will soon be leaving hunting en masse. Take a look at the numbers and you will see is that we do not have a generation that will replace those numbers any where near that level of participation. We are running towards the cliff. Judging hunter numbers by point creep or the number of orange vests you see on opening day is not an accurate representation of what is happening.

For the record, I enjoy Meateater and I really enjoy Fresh Tracks with Randy Newberg. The two best hunting shows out there in my opinion. I can certainly think of worse ambassadors for our hobby.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.