My grandpa was my best friend growing up. He was the kindest and most friendly man you could hope to meet. He knew what the garbage men drank, he knew what the postman liked for an afternoon snack and he knew the candy that the neighborhood kids liked and grandpa always made sure that he’d bring a smile to someone’s face with a cold soda a piece of candy and genuine kindness. He was in the Army in WWII and I used to thank God everyday for letting grandpa survive so that a young boy could have a friend like him.

I’ve always been fascinated by history but especially WWII. I think that was because of grandpa, because I wanted to understand what made men like him tick. My grandpa’s life being an example that’s similar to so many from that generation, substituting occupation of course but I just can’t imagine...... How did they endure the depression, the death or abandonment by at least 1 parent, go to war and endure the horrors and privations and then come home, work 50-60+ week at Alcoa Aluminum as an electrician, raise a family, tour the newly formed National Parks by car in the summer, act as their grandson’s Boy Scout Leader and become a hero to at least 1 young boy? I don’t think I’ll ever understand that type of strength.

I apologize for musing out loud and I’m not a big thread starter (thread killer maybe 🤓) but I heard this actual audio of the sounds of the Marines going ashore on Iwo Jima and I got caught daydreaming about grandpa and how much he taught me.

I’ll raise my glass tonight to the Greatest Generation....

https://www.wearethemighty.com/history/sounds-landing-at-iwo-jima

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~