Interesting! Thanks for the report.

Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Add on to this topic.....

I'm in the northeast corner of the state. Things usually start up around Christmas to mid-January here. This past Wednesday night 3/4, driving home, I clipped a young buck crossing a highway....he appeared to be chasing a doe. I can't say for sure but the doe crossed first running and he was right behind her.

Same morning my father watched a "monster" (and he's not one to exaggerate) buck chasing 2 does on his land. He said he watched the buck chasing for ~5 minutes across pastures. It was enough time for him to go get bino's and call my mom in to watch as well.

I watched the local group of does that frequent my land off and on through the season. I kept waiting to see some chasing. In February they still had this years fawns by their side....usually once it starts the young ones get driven off momma and we see the young ones wondering looking a bit lost. We've often seen young ones hanging out with our goats when they get separated. At any rate, we never saw it this year and at the end of the season 4 does still had this years fawns by their side (2 had twins).

I'm guessing it's due to a very uneven ratio of bucks to does in the area. Everyone hunts and very few of the local people will pass up a buck regardless of it's size if they see one by chance.....many of them will never shoot a doe. It really wouldn't stand out that much to me if it appeared to be one buck chasing a single doe that was missed the first couple of rounds but 2 different bucks chasing (or appearing to be chasing) really caught my attention.