From 1978 through 2003 my .30 Gibbs shooting 180 grain Nosler Partitions at 2920 fps put a Mountain goat, 2 Shiras bull moose and 20 bulls and 3 cow elk into my freezer. Most were one shot kills with the mushroomed back half of the bullet stopping just under the skin on the off side of the animal.

My last 2 bull elk were killed with my .300 Weatherby, one with a 168 grain Barnes TSX bullet 3298 fps and the other with a 168 grain TTSX bullet at 3300 fps. The TSX bullet completely penetrated the bull from a broadside behind-the-shoulder shot. The TTSX bullet entered the bull's front shoulder and stopped in his opposite ham. I also used this rifle with the 168 grain TSX bullets on one African hunt and with the 168 grain TTSX bullets on two other African hunts and a New Zealand hunt.

A couple of years ago I put a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 scope on my .300 Wby. I had the CDS turret for that scope made for my 180 grain TTSX handloads at 3250 fps. So far I've only used that bullet for a one shot kill with complete broadside penetration on a Dagestan Tur in Azerbaijan with a 327 yard shot. I plan on shooting this bullet for all of my foreseeable future hunting with this rifle.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member