Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by cast10K
Originally Posted by HitnRun

Pay attention to how farmers and ranchers do business and then see how those gifts from the government work. If you own a store and someone comes in to buy your goods, you say “that will be $12.00” or whatever the cost is for that product. When a farmer goes to the grain terminal to sell his wheat, he says “what will you give me today?” The rancher gets the same treatment at the stock sale.

Both scenarios are the same. Buyer and seller are both free to state their price and both are free to walk away. The truth of the matter is subsidies don't solve anything. In this case they allow too many farmers to remain in the industry, which is exactly the reason so many of them cannot be profitable without government assistance. Pull the subsidies, allow some farms to fail, achieve market equilibrium, and the remaining ones will be able to charge more. It's no different than any other market.

Wow, you are so isolated from what it takes to put a steak on your plate or eggs in your fridge. The agricultural community has no more ability to do what you said than you have to fly a helicopter.

When you really understand how the commodities market and the cost of farming and ranching, under the current political spectrum, is not capable of surviving your fairytale analogy you might want to rethink your comments.

Isolated lol. Both of my parents grew up on farms and I spent my teen years working on them. Why don't you enlighten me? I looked for a factual rebuttal in your post but couldn't find one. The reason the agricultural industry has no ability to do that is because of over supply, a root problem that subsidies not only fail to address but actually make worse.