Originally Posted by KFWA
if its less than 7 hours for business I'm driving, less than 13 for vacation.

mainly because I can pick when I leave and go, if I want to stop along the way to see the worlds biggest aluminum foil ball or get a chili cheese burger from some dive, I can

if you think about the drive to the airport, economy parking hassle, getting there an hour early, a connecting flight with a layover, getting baggage, rental car..etc, its adds alot of time to the flight. It might be a 3 hour flight but you still burn 6 or 7 hours dealing with it.

I wish we had a much better train system, I'd burn a day on a train, but travel now is so limited and they can't even guarantee when you will arrive due to freight trains getting right of way.

I'd also love for Americans to revolt against air travel and demand better service from airlines. Especially after 3 taxpayer bailouts in 20 years.

Just FYI ,I am retired from the railroad and AMTRAK always had the right of way. The government pays to run on the tracks so they got preference, beside the fact that their top speed in the south is 79MPH, and for the railroad our speed were as follows general freight45 max, circus 45, coal or consist complete 50, and pigs 59.

Amtrak may play second fiddle in your neck of the woods but not here, I have lawned out several times waiting on AMTRAK to get in or out of single track. I have sat hours waiting on them to pass, not complaining, I was being paid, but sometimes frustrating.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers