Originally Posted by barm

The Stevens 200 is basically a Savage 10/110, right? I used that Sierra bullet when I had my first centerfire rifle and Ruger 77 in 243 Winchester. Many groundhogs and foxes were dispatched with it. A really good bullet. I definitely don't plan on shooting anything over 85 grains in it, so I would be looking at a 1:10 twist. Why McGowen barrels? Did your E.R. Shaw not perform like you want?

Yes, same Savage 10 centerfeed action sans Accutrigger.

The 85gr SGK is DEADLY. 4 of the does below fell to that combo one day on a doe cull trip. Farthest was about 260 yards. None of them went more than 20 yards with a single shot into the boiler.

I didn’t know about McGowens when I ordered. Cheap was a focus on this build, so the more expensive barrels were out of the question. I have since learned of the McGowens, and they seem to be REALLY accurate. 10 or so years ago, they were about the same cost as Shaws.

My gun shoots consistently about MOA. With that said, my load “work up” was comprised of one bullet and one powder. It has been working ever since...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]