Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by wildcat33
There are some beloved knife makers on here such as Ingram, May, Winston, and Dozier.

What up and coming makers out there are doing practical hunting blades, with well treated and ground steel, and a good kydex holster? I think the "ideal" working knife would be 3.5", drop point blade, hollow ground, with a low profile kydex. Micarta or wood scales, but nothing fancy.

Nothing wrong with the fellas above, but the wait list and prices reflect their high quality reputation and I figure there must be some others out there that are doing good work at reasonable prices that dont get the attention they deserve.

What say the fire?

Not “new” but Tom Krein is the best grinder in the business, bar none. He uses Bos for HT.

Several folks have pointed to makers using O1 vs stainless or “super” steels.... If you’re good with that Burt Foster is the man!!!

Tom can grind.

I would not buy another knife from him with Bos heat-treating...

Tom can more than grind...he is the most precise grinder in the business, unless my Zeiss and Mitutoyo Optical Metrology Systems, and measurement of hundreds of custom knives are wrong???

Also, I recently communicated with Paul Farner re a couple of knives, including a forum maker here.

From past discussions I know you are a real knife guy, so shoot me a PM if you would, re your Bos concerns and I’ll share mine...

Thanks!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...