I think a .25-06 is a fantastic round. The 6.5 super duper shoot to the next zip code guns have actually been equaled and in some cases surpassed, but market hype keeps 'em spinning their yarn.

7mms and even .270s with custom barrels with 1:8 twists will send 170 grain Hi BC bullets as far as most any 6.5. The .25-06 with an even moderately tight twist will actually shoot a 120 grain bullet as far as most people need to be shooting at game anyway.

But if Berger or Matrix or some of the other custom bullet makers would get on the stick they could sell a lot of bullets. You can right now have yourself a .257 barrel made with a 1:9 or 1:8 twist. I had Krieger make me a 1:9 barrel for my .250 Savage and I shoot 115, 117 and 120 grain bullets in it exclusively.

All is lacking for the .25s to join the ultra long range club is these bullet companies to join the 21st Century and make some 140-150, yes even 160 grain VLD bullets for them. Then "INSTANT SUCCESS STORY!" Run those through a .25-06 or a .257 WBY and you're gonna blow almost if not all 6.5s out of the water.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/24/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!