Retired hospital administrator in 2017. Retired US Army Reserve in 1996, 7 years active duty, 15 National Guard and Reserve. Was training to be a consultant forester in East Tennessee, primarily strip mine reclamation when I won the draft lottery. Have lived in 7 states and Germany, most recently Alaska 12 years, Oregon 15 years, New Mexico 3 years and going on 12 years in SW Montana where I plan to stay until I graduate from this life. Studying to become a commissioned ruling elder (lay pastor) to provide temporary pulpit coverage for rural Presbyterian churches in Montana.

Life has a way of taking us lots of places we never dreamed of. Have been privileged to enjoy hunting in Alaska and Montana primarily, especially Dall sheep, moose and more recently elk and deer. Hunted some in other states but mostly whitetail or blacktail deer.

Dad had an old model 99 in 25-35 when I was a pup and have loved these rifles ever since. I've only shot a number of deer with my 99F in 300 Savage, also have a 99A and 99EG in 250 Savage and a custom stocked 99 in 308 which will shoot both 150 and 165 grain hornady superperformance in less than an inch consistently but have yet to shoot game with it. Probably heresy to say this but most of lever action hunting has been with a BLR in 358 Winchester. Deadly on deer and moose and nice to have on hand when grizzly are near. Have shot more game with bolt action 270's than any other rifle. Hope to get my elk with a model 99 this year, just because those rifles deserve to be used more. Thought about rebarreling the 250 EG into a 250AI with a 1 in 10 twist like my 99A, but may never get around to it. The EG has the best trigger of any of my lever actions but won't stabilize 100 grain bullets too well, maybe a 2 1/2 inch rifle at 100 yards.

Sorry, talking too much probably. Great forum for model 99 information.

US Army (Retired)
Airborne All The Way!